Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Good luck!! :thumbsup

Yeah, we're getting bad wind too... :/

2. reyecat

reyecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Thank you @RavynFallen

I will do that... he's in the little 'bator now having some "me time" hoping he will stretch out. there's one more to go... there were 4 shrink wrapped... :/ 2 were fine with a little help zipping, then him and one more I'm slowly working on... we thought it was humid enough but I guess not.

we have had many successful chicks out of this same 'bator, but these 4... well, I dunno what happened, can't always do everything right I guess.

3. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Things happen, unfortunately... best to use a shallow bowl in the sink so you can warm it if needed, and a wet paper towel to rub up the neck to the head if needed... good luck and hang in there!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've never had a problem with my mixed hatches, they have all seemed to even out, until this hatch. There is such a difference between Ruby's silkie's eggs and my standard, that in the future I will always do my silkie hatches separate from my others. They really do need a higher humidity than I normally run at.

Join the club...ok, it may just be a club of me, but hey, you're not alone. [​IMG]

What Ravyn said. If the chick is ok to begin with, it should stretch itself out and become active when ready.

How can you keep a chick from dying under a broody hen? [​IMG] Unless you can pinpoint the why...it's hard to know what you can do.

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I've been sick in bed all day. I'm trying to catch up but it's hard because I keep falling behind! This is how far I've got so far....

My fertility had been 100% but then I had a few clears last batch. I guess it could be weather related? I don't know for sure but there's enough boys out there to get the job done, maybe that's the problem. I still need to get rid of one boy, then my ratio will be good.

I never have had to clean shipped eggs before. The only eggs that I had that were really gross were local peafowl eggs. I dampened a paper towel and just got the gross stuff off.

The chick definitely had oxygen and it hasn't been long, so I'm sure there was something deeper/internal going on. How did the navel look?

Just wait. Most of the time, not all the time, but more so then not my wrong end pippers zip fine on their own. :fl

I'm not sure where the air cell is in this pic. Is it in the pointy end? I can see the veins though, so that's a plus!
    Amy answered exactly what I was going to say!

Ok, so what incubator are you using? I believe that a big reason that shipped eggs make it to lockdown and then die is because of improper or insufficient turning during days 1-8. How were your air cells upon arrival and how did you treat the eggs the first week? So far you're doing excellent! I've had a shipped batch that all hatched once they made it to lockdown so it's possible!

If you have no pips and you have adequate humidity that recovers easily go ahead and candle!! I candle whenever I feel like it until I see lots of internal pips, then I lay low and let them do their thing.

Yes, this has happened to me! If they sit exposed long enough, even in high humidity I've dealt with this a few times.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]You can't be sick. Not allowed!! Hope you feel better!! Was wondering where you were! Your fertility was awesome on the ones you sent me!!! Only one showed no signs at all of developing and that could hae been shipping for all we know!!

7. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    And after seeing all of this process first hand I couldn't agree with you more. I was petrified from so many different angles by so many different things I read about on the web or talked about from people. I was under the presumption that you never help cos they aren't strong enough.

1 person likes this.
  8. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    Pretty cute. Is that one an ancona?

9. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    Just had duckling number 3 hatch at 56 hours after pip!!! It had a big bunch of goo attached to its stomach but no yellow embryo; that goo has already detached itself and it's tummy looks closed up. It isn't as strong as the last lil duck but she seems fine! I'll give her some sav-a-chick once she dries just to make sure. This is the one that I had helped out last night at 2 in the morning and found the blood vein inside. So relieved it made it. 3 down, one to go. Just pulled the last one out and tapped the shell and it is still kicking. It has been pipped between 24 and 36 hours now so I may have to help it out in the morning if it hasn't already hatched.

Pics coming soon. Baby number 2 is in the brooder playing tag with Archie. This one looks to be a blue duckie so looks like Sghetti is this one's dad!

10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Heh... that wouldn't work with most Call ducks... with their short bills, assisting can be a necessity... :D ;)

Thank you... these are all Calls... the one on the far right looks to be a magpie Call... only survivor of a crushed box of shipped eggs...

Edited cuz I forgot my right from my left... :gig

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by