Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. JillZ

JillZ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    I broke down and boosted the humidity! Since the two hatched chicks have all of that concretey stuff on them, I was really afraid that my humidity was just too low. So I upped it. And all of a sudden pips started trying to zip! Even number two, the upside down one who we gave up on. Will wait til the morning until intervening. Thank you for helping me.

2. BlazeInTexas

BlazeInTexas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2016
    Hunt, Texas
    Help. I'm desperate during my first batch and, unfortunately, they are mostly endangered eggs. I've corralled several incubators because I was terrified of a minimal hatch and I'm as nervous right now as I was when I found out I was in the midst of a high risk pregnancy. I'm one day I to lockdown and a basketcase. 4 thermometers giving me 4 readings and 2 different humidity readings. All different. I thought I had too many eggs for a comfortable hatch in a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance so on day 18 I placed them in a Farm Innovators Pro Series model 4250. How high humidity is too high at this point??? I've only candled once and marked the air sacs as well as I could since the majority of the eggs are extremely dark Marans....unfortunately a lot of the Coronation Sussex didn't fertilize. I thought about putting them back into the Brinsea but the air vent slide is inop and I can't see myself watching 24+ eggs hatch in that tiny little space and not trying to get them out before the 24hrs are up and they're all dry first. I just feel woefully in over my head and driving myself crazy. Now I just noticed someone must've bumped the incubator cuz the lines of eggs are all akilter and now I don't know which ones may be wrong side up.....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. JillZ

JillZ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Hi. Just didn't want you to feel alone. I, too, am hatching with the 4250. I'm glad that you have different therms and hygros in there, because I did the same throughout incubation and even after salt testing 3 hygros and then calibrating them, they all read differently in the incubator. I have been averaging all of them throughout and feel like I can get a pretty good reading from that.
    I'm finding that because I have both vents open and there are so many other ventilation holes on the tops and bottoms, that with the fan running, it does seem to dry things out really quickly when they are pipping, so I think increasing the humidity higher than I would think was normal at hatch time is better. Just my thoughts so far. I don't think I've read many that ever get over 80% humidity when hatching on purpose, so I'm kinda thinking over that is high. Also know that when they start actually hatching and get out of the shell, the humidity increases from them. Lots of people also use cut out egg carton cups to hold the eggs more upright when hatching. I'm using little mini paper cupcake liners this time and it seems to be working well. I'm pretty sure you are fine to readjust your eggs right now if you want because you are on day 19 and haven't seen any pips? Good luck. There are so many other people here that are so experienced and have much more of a clue than me! It's a stressful time, though, no doubt about it!

Edit: After the chicks hatch and the humidity rises, it does seem to come back down a bit after an hour or so.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

:gig

Absolutely... hatching Calls is commonly called taking the 'Call Duck Challenge'... due to their short bills many have a hard time pipping and zipping externally... assisting is slow and with much patience... each batch is a learning experience for sure...

5. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    O man, I dunno what to do. Just candled my Lyon Incubator and found that almost every one of the eggs inside appears to have big, thick blackish veins inside of them. These are runner ducks and ancona ducks and the eggs are all a lil darker shelled than the first bunch of eggs I candled at this stage. I took out 4 of the very worst looking ones and cracked the first open, only to find a developed chick kicking inside. All the veins looked dark or disappeared in this one and I was sure it was a quitter. I put 2 of the other back inside, even though one had very thick black veins inside at the bottom. Couldn't find movement in many of them, but they are all 21 or 22 days along so they are pretty dark inside and tough to see movement. Will healthy veins look really dark in darker shells?

6. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    I will wait some time to try those then. I am currently freaked out about all my eggs in my Lyon incubator. I think I may have a bacteria outbreak. Could that be from running the humidity too high the last couple days?

7. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio

:clap Great job!!

Well said!

:frow Your babies are beautiful!

1 person likes this.
  8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How are they doing this morning?

Are you still a nervous wreck? Any signs of action yet. It'll be ok. First, you don't have to leave your little babies in the bator for 24 hours. When to remove chicks is a personal decision. Let me give you a hint for your next hatch. If you mark the air cells at lockdown you'll know how to face them up and it'll give you a better idea if they've been rolled. Of course, even a rolled pipper should be ok, but I'm one of those that like mine facing up too....lol I don't worry about "high" humidity at hatch. As long as there's not any condensation in the bator. I aim for 75% and often once they start hatching it will shoot to 85+. Now, it doesn't stay there long because I do open my bator-frequently during hatch.
    There's a lot of great people here on the thread that will help you along as you need it so grab your choice of caffein and relax and ask away if you need help.

1 person likes this.
  9. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Morning guys!
    Hope everyone's hatches are going good.

Has anyone said it yet?,,,American idol! Whoop whoop(in case someone DVR'ed I dont wanna spoil it) way excited though. Carrie Underwood looked amazingly toned last night,,uh her skirt must have shrunk a bit though? Sorry it's off topic but was such a good show.

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. I haen't watched Idol since season 5 or 6. I was a huge fan in the begining-like nutso especially season 2, but then when they started changing judges and the best people were kicked off, it bombed for me. But it's hard to believe that it's going to be over. This will be "the LAST AMERICAN IDOL". But I can't spare any tears, they are all being used in the fact that Michael Weatherly is leaving NCIS at the end of the season. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by