Hands on hatching and help

Before I got rid of my eggs I wanted to try and figure out what went wrong with my Japanese bantams......so I opened the egg and found the something was wrong with their beaks they were deformed any one had anything like that....I'm thinking that's probably why they couldn't hatch.....everything else looked fine but I've never seen our chicks before like this that we hatched I will post a picture later if any one wants to see it.

I would guess its part of the lethal gene that makes them not develop properly.

So all 3 of my lav orps hatched. I waited for the last one to push out this morning, before I headed to work. Left them in the bator, but pulled this first one out for a photo op.

Last edited:
Thanks! The second pipper hatched about 1 a.m. And the 3rd one is working on it this morning. Still nothing on the mutts, so I'll check them when I grab these chicks out.

I believe you mean day 20?
wink.png

I'm so anxious to see those silkies!
Actually I meant day 19 lol Guess my finger was one key too far over....lol

I would guess its part of the lethal gene that makes them not develop properly.
That's what I was thinking.

So all 3 of my lav orps hatched. I waiting for the last one to push out this morning, before I headed to work. Left them in the bator, but pulled this first one out for a photo op.

Congrats so far!

So, my two babies are so awesome. They were so quiet last night I kept getting up to check them...lol The black needs some warm water. He was a little sticky and did not fluff as well. Bt they are little and cute and I'll get a couple pics here in a few minutes.

This morning I have another silkie pipped, 2 Spitz and 2 nn green eggs pipped. When I moved the first two to the brooder last night I candled and found 3 Silkies had internally pipped w/another couple that looked close. A couple of them don't look good, the rest I could detect movement in. I had one Spitz quit out of the other 7 -6 were internally pipped. Out of the four greens the other two has one that may hatch and one I don't think will.

Actually I meant day 19 lol Guess my finger was one key too far over....lol

That's what I was thinking.

Congrats so far!

LOL 19.... I was a day ahead of you.. lol

And I mis-typed too. I said waiting, I meant waited. All three lavs are out!

Candled the mutts again, don't see any movement, but they seem darker than they did a couple days ago, so I left them in.

So, my two babies are so awesome. They were so quiet last night I kept getting up to check them...lol The black needs some warm water. He was a little sticky and did not fluff as well. Bt they are little and cute and I'll get a couple pics here in a few minutes.

This morning I have another silkie pipped, 2 Spitz and 2 nn green eggs pipped. When I moved the first two to the brooder last night I candled and found 3 Silkies had internally pipped w/another couple that looked close. A couple of them don't look good, the rest I could detect movement in. I had one Spitz quit out of the other 7 -6 were internally pipped. Out of the four greens the other two has one that may hatch and one I don't think will.

I'd really like to have some of those Spitz, but no way can I do another breed...

pop.gif
waiting for silkie pics!
smile.png

Lockdown time.
New digital thermometer I bought has gone bonkers,(useless) not trusting it. Can't get out today so having to sorta 'kiss the forehead' to make sure they aren't getting too hott. I hope this goes better then last time.
1f423.png
filled water wells yesterday. Nervous nelly

Sounds like you'll have a busy couple of days, Amy!
Yes. Well, today will be a whole lot of waiting, but tonight into tomorrow should be exciting.

LOL 19.... I was a day ahead of you.. lol

And I mis-typed too. I said waiting, I meant waited. All three lavs are out!

Candled the mutts again, don't see any movement, but they seem darker than they did a couple days ago, so I left them in.

I'd really like to have some of those Spitz, but no way can I do another breed...

pop.gif
waiting for silkie pics!
smile.png
I really do love the Spitz. Their look, their personality their hardiness. I wish they laid a little bigger egg, but I've got plenty (at least at the moment) others that lay the big eggs.) I have to say, they are one of my favs so far.

Lockdown time.
New digital thermometer I bought has gone bonkers,(useless) not trusting it. Can't get out today so having to sorta 'kiss the forehead' to make sure they aren't getting too hott. I hope this goes better then last time.
1f423.png
filled water wells yesterday. Nervous nelly
Good luck!!!

I have 2 call eggs on day 25. Both are alive but no internal pips. I did see the eggs rocking quite a bit this morning, so I'm hoping that just maybe they still have a chance!

Hi everyone!

Way behind, but wanted to share... just had to help one. It's a peachick that lost 15% by day 27, but couldn't pip internally. Big, fat "juicy" chick with a swollen head and *huge* belly. Very weak now, so I don't expect it will live. Will take pictures later.

-Kathy

Kathy, please tell me how you made the internal pip. Thanks. I hope she pulls through!

:hugs
:celebrate

I have one lavender orpington out, the other 2 have pipped externally. I think the mutts are gone, but left them in for now. This first LO looks to be the prettiest one I've hatched yet! Beautiful color.

Awesome!! :jumpy

Before I got rid of my eggs I wanted to try and figure out what went wrong with my Japanese bantams......so I opened the egg and found the something was wrong with their beaks they were deformed any one had anything like that....I'm thinking that's probably why they couldn't hatch.....everything else looked fine but I've never seen our chicks before like this that we hatched I will post a picture later if any one wants to see it.

Yes, post pics! I'd still try and do some research to figure out why the eggs were so bloody. Maybe it has to do with the genes? I'm not sure but rule out any incubation issues.

Sorry for your loss. I would like to see the pictures.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom