Hands on hatching and help

Now, if the membranes start looking yellowish/brown and leathery, then it doesn't matter how long it's been, I'd pull it out and moisten the membranes and make sure that the inner membrane is not gluing itself to the chick. The only time I have had membranes start to dry out like that is during an assist when a big area of membrane is exposed and when you have a big exposed area you are more likely to have drying of membranes no matter how high the humidity or rather or not you open the bator.

I have some pictures of membranes that are bright white and tight.

-Kathy

how do you help it--- do you take it completely out of the bator- wrap in warm paper towel... details... :) Please and thank you lol
When I assits I have water, q-tips and tweazers. I wet the q-tip and moisten all visable membranes and then I chip just the egg shell away, and wet any newly exposed membranes. If there are no blood vessels present in the membrane I carefully pull that back with the tweazers too and then chip away a bit more shell until I have the cap off. If I see prominent veining I stop and usually I wrap a damp paper towel around the back and lay it back in the bator. If I don't see any veining I work until the chick's head is out and then I put them back in and give them a chance to progress further on their own/warm back up and rest.

I have some pictures of membranes that are bright white and tight.

-Kathy
These were extremely tight and almost rubbery. Depending on how the light hit them they appeared white, but if I turned them the right way you could easily see the chick. They had drawn down so much that they held the chick curled up in the bottom half of the egg. Feel free to share yours too.
smile.png

Thank you Amy, you are so helpful- I really truly appreciate it. I am hoping mine have made some progress when I get home in about 2 hours-- one pipped this morning at 7:30 and at 11:30am was still the same pip, nothing new.

Thank you Amy, you are so helpful- I really truly appreciate it. I am hoping mine have made some progress when I get home in about 2 hours-- one pipped this morning at 7:30 and at 11:30am was still the same pip, nothing new.
Mine seem to average 12-18 hours before they progress to zip. I have had a couple zip in less than 8 hours and many push the 24 hour mark.

I'm at day 20 and the waiting is almost too much to bear! I have two sisters and an aunt coming over to drink wine and stare into the incubator with me tomorrow.
LMAO. There's support right there. I hope you have some pippers tonight then so you can see some action early!! And you aren't all just staring at pipped eggs. I think the hardest part is after they pip and you're waiting for more....lol it's so hard!

Ok ya'll I have a little egg who has a hole and it's come through the membrane and I can see it opening its mouth and stuff,-- just a small hole- but it's a good sign, right lol

Back
Top Bottom