Hands on hatching and help

Ok ya'll I have a little egg who has a hole and it's come through the membrane and I can see it opening its mouth and stuff,-- just a small hole- but it's a good sign, right lol

That's the best sign!
xs 2 You have a pip!!
wee.gif

I should probably add that when my eggs start pipping, I periodically play a video of chicks peeping from my phone at the bator.  And during a zip I play it in a loop until they are out, (which is usually w/in 15 minutes.) I had this awesome youtube video I highly recommended and then over the winter the user pulled the video off. :hit So I've had to go find other's but haven't tried them yet. I will be setting my first eggs for this season hopefully in about 2 weeks. Doing shipped for the first time from @RubyNala97
  's beautiful silkies and I will be adding some of my spitzhaubens too.

The plan is to be more hands off with the shipped eggs, so I have to have my own in there to feed my obsessive meddling....lol

The point to all that was the sounds of the chicks from the electronic device really keep them motivated and working especially during zip. lol

Thank you, Amy! This is the new video I use:

So the second picture is of course when it first pip before I rotated it--- so I did ok by rotating and getting that pip facing upwards?   And no that is actually the candle wax on my egg that cracked at 8 days... I sealed it-- and that is also the one who pipped right before I left for work this morning- we call him Cracker lol 

Whenever I notice a pip facing the floor, I will leave until the next time I open the incubator and then I will flip it around. I just had one like that yesterday. It pipped underneath, toward the pointy end. Just when I was starting to worry, it began making the pip bigger and zipped all on its own. For me I would say it's 60/40, 60% of the time they will zip on their own and 40% of the time I have to do the zip for them.

Why do so many people feel so strongly about not opening the incubator the last few days?

-Kathy

I was scared to death to open the incubator at lockdown! I was complaining to Amy that I had never seen an internal pip (because I never opened after lockdown) and she convinced me that it would be ok!...she started a monster. ;)

how do you help it--- do you take it completely out of the bator- wrap in warm paper towel... details... :) Please and thank you lol 

I have a small station all set up at my table. I have a heating pad covered with paper towels, q-tips, tweezers, warm water, bacitracin and corn starch, in case I need to stop bleeding quickly. And then a desk lamp that bends, so I can move the light right over the egg. That way you're totally prepared and can work quickly.

Ok ya'll I have a little egg who has a hole and it's come through the membrane and I can see it opening its mouth and stuff,-- just a small hole- but it's a good sign, right lol

That's great! The closer it gets to zip the bigger it will make the hole. This last batch, all of the kept these tiny pips, just cracks in the shell, right up until zip and then they went to town!

Thank you, Amy! This is the new video I use:
Whenever I notice a pip facing the floor, I will leave until the next time I open the incubator and then I will flip it around. I just had one like that yesterday. It pipped underneath, toward the pointy end. Just when I was starting to worry, it began making the pip bigger and zipped all on its own. For me I would say it's 60/40, 60% of the time they will zip on their own and 40% of the time I have to do the zip for them.
I was scared to death to open the incubator at lockdown! I was complaining to Amy that I had never seen an internal pip (because I never opened after lockdown) and she convinced me that it would be ok!...she started a monster.
wink.png

I have a small station all set up at my table. I have a heating pad covered with paper towels, q-tips, tweezers, warm water, bacitracin and corn starch, in case I need to stop bleeding quickly. And then a desk lamp that bends, so I can move the light right over the egg. That way you're totally prepared and can work quickly.
That's great! The closer it gets to zip the bigger it will make the hole. This last batch, all of the kept these tiny pips, just cracks in the shell, right up until zip and then they went to town!
That is too funny...you're not going to believe this, but that is the video I have bookmarked to use for this hatch!! Seriously. I looked at a few and settled on that one!

Well, my three-power-outage babies are hatched! I hardly believe it, but I got 15 of 19 eggs.
Four are silent but I have yet to turn the incubator off. They get one more night.

The hatch itself took over 48 hours and was a little the worse for wear on a few of the chicks, but tonight everyone is eating and doing well.
Thanks for the support and good hatching!

Ok I'm a newby and was fortunate enough to hatch 18 of 26 this week. I had 36 total shipped eggs and four of my back yard mixes. 12 eggs from one shipped were very well packaged but none of them even started developing. They were about 7 days old when they went into the bator. Out of the other 24 shipped eggs, 14 hatched and 6 were fully developed but never pipped. My first batch was day 19 1/2 or 20 and I had 5 hatched that first 12 hours. 10 hatched on day 21 but I noticed the temp dropped to 97 and stayed constant. I ran the bator for two weeks prior to placing the eggs and it was ALWAYS 99 or 100......and 95% of the time it was 99. I had two hatch on day 22........I gave the rest of the eggs two more days and none pipped. Any ideas why those other developed chicks didn't pip? Thanks in advance and I do appreciate everyone on here trying to help others learn the ropes.

Chick 1 is out!!! This must be a buff orpington/cream legbar mix :)
:yiipchick congrats!
Well, my three-power-outage babies are hatched! I hardly believe it, but I got 15 of 19 eggs. Four are silent but I have yet to turn the incubator off. They get one more night. The hatch itself took over 48 hours and was a little the worse for wear on a few of the chicks, but tonight everyone is eating and doing well. Thanks for the support and good hatching!
Adorable! Great job! :celebrate

clap.gif
Congrats!!! Any more pipped or hatching yet??

Well, my three-power-outage babies are hatched! I hardly believe it, but I got 15 of 19 eggs.
Four are silent but I have yet to turn the incubator off. They get one more night.

The hatch itself took over 48 hours and was a little the worse for wear on a few of the chicks, but tonight everyone is eating and doing well.
Thanks for the support and good hatching!

That's great! They are so cute.

Ok I'm a newby and was fortunate enough to hatch 18 of 26 this week. I had 36 total shipped eggs and four of my back yard mixes. 12 eggs from one shipped were very well packaged but none of them even started developing. They were about 7 days old when they went into the bator. Out of the other 24 shipped eggs, 14 hatched and 6 were fully developed but never pipped. My first batch was day 19 1/2 or 20 and I had 5 hatched that first 12 hours. 10 hatched on day 21 but I noticed the temp dropped to 97 and stayed constant. I ran the bator for two weeks prior to placing the eggs and it was ALWAYS 99 or 100......and 95% of the time it was 99. I had two hatch on day 22........I gave the rest of the eggs two more days and none pipped. Any ideas why those other developed chicks didn't pip? Thanks in advance and I do appreciate everyone on here trying to help others learn the ropes.
Were the chicks extra wet or dry? It could have been a difference in the shell quality and moisture loss. If they were all from the same hen it could be an egg quality issue or it could be as simple as shipped eggs have a higher occurance of mortality even with fully developed chicks.
Congrats on the hatchers, that's a pretty good rate shipped, and sorry about the others.

Yay!! :celebrate
Well, my three-power-outage babies are hatched! I hardly believe it, but I got 15 of 19 eggs. Four are silent but I have yet to turn the incubator off. They get one more night. The hatch itself took over 48 hours and was a little the worse for wear on a few of the chicks, but tonight everyone is eating and doing well. Thanks for the support and good hatching!
Excellent! Especially for all the moving around and power issues!
The developed chicks that didn't pip were from shipped eggs, right? I'm just curious, how long did you let them rest inside the incubator without turning? Shipped eggs have a high rate of chicks making it to lockdown but dying without pipping. So if you are talking about the shipped eggs that is very common. There may be a correlation between how long they sat unturned, that's why I'm asking.

Yay!! :celebrate
Excellent! Especially for all the moving around and power issues!
The developed chicks that didn't pip were from shipped eggs, right? I'm just curious, how long did you let them rest inside the incubator without turning? Shipped eggs have a high rate of chicks making it to lockdown but dying without pipping. So if you are talking about the shipped eggs that is very common. There may be a correlation between how long they sat unturned, that's why I'm asking.

Yes they were shipped eggs.....they set for 24-48 hours after unpacking before I put them in the bator.

Back
Top Bottom