Hands on hatching and help

I brought him in. He is trying so hard. I chipped away and pulled back the membrane where his beak was. Everything was dry and there was no inner membrane stuck to him where I pulled it off. It was all in the air sack. I have been studying the how to assist on this site but must admit I can't figure out what position he is in according to the anatomy parts. I have now stuck him under the heat lamp and am covering him with a warm wet paper towel periodically to assist with humidity. It doesn't help it's right next to the wood stove. But I figured I would wait a couple hours before I try to assist anymore in case he is trying to absorb anything?

All the way down to the lower left is where the pip was on the shell but not through the membrane. I had to chip away that far before I found his beak. I was afraid he couldn't breathe. Now I am leaving him as it looks moist like he needs to absorb more?

Awww so sweet!
All looks good to me too. Just remember ducks rest alot, so dont push him, but looks like you are doing a fine job. You can use Vaseline or Neosporin or the like, just no "caine" pain killers. (lidocaine, etc) to keep the membrane moist if necessary.

Good luck and please keep us posted! :fl

This is my 1st batch and it hasn't been anything like what I have read. I marked on the calendar the day she started sitting and it was 40 days before they started hatching. I got 7 the day before yesterday and 4 more yesterday. Then this little guy still trying to hatch today. That is at 42 days! He seems to not be able to break through the outer membrane at at all. How much longer should I wait before I assist anymore? I saw outer shell pipping last night but he never did anymore. It has probably been an hour since I opened him up.

Back
Top Bottom