Hands on hatching and help

Thank you! I am so glad I found such an amazing and supportive group! You guys are wonderful!

Now it seems I am still in need of help with this hatch.

This little guy made this pip sometime between 1300-1800 on Saturday. I tried to remain hands off but by this morning (Monday) there still hasn't been any progress. As I was checking it, I found out the air sack isn't at the end of the egg, it's more on its side. Also I shined a light in the hole and the baby is still very much alive, breathing through its beak, almost like a panting. I am unable to help because there are still veins everywhere. Does this chick have a chance of surviving even if it pipped so early? The membrane under the hole is turning white but the hole is too small to get a qtip in it to apply anything. I have it wrapped in a wet paper towel now.

On a lighter note, Akia is enjoying all the attention, loves to snuggle and is very vociferous just like its mamma (that's how mamma earned the name Hagitha lol)

Awesome little Akia!

Could the air cell just be drawn down as they normally do? We don't always see how drastically they draw down, when they hatch normally on their own, but they do it. The pip looks fine to me, although it has been quite a while now. White membrane is good, brown is bad. If there are still alot of veins, I'd just try to be patient and give it a little more time. But go with your gut. (play some audio of other chicks chirping, sing to it, talk to it!)

xs 2
RubyNala97
Good morning. I tried helping a little after I posted that picture of the external pip. Because she wasn't breathing. Maybe you're correct that she hit a vein. I'm so sad! I let her rest for about 1 hour after I found that pip & wish I woyld have gone with my gut that she was in danger. I didn't want to make an emotional decision. The other egg quit too. I'm doomed for hatching this year I think. Ugh:hit
Always go with your gut, no matter what the advice. You are there and can "sense" things that we on this side of the screen can not. If someone gets ticked or offended that you didn't follow their advice, that's their problem. I know there are those people on here, I've had a run in with a couple myself, that acted like a two year old because I didn't agree and follow their superior declarations. You'll learn more from your emotions and guts than anything. In the end, they are your chicks and you have to make that judgement call. Sometimes you'll be right and other times you'll be wrong, but you will always be learning.
hugs.gif
Sorry about the luck!

One of our chicks hatched from our own pullet eggs was TINY (smaller even than the one I posted the picture of ) and has been living alone in the incubator since Saturday. This morning I cleaned the brooder and put her in with the big bruisers. So far so good; if anything she's the one doing all the pecking and acting obnoxious.
I got a black/silver chick and a yellow chick from the same hen. Chicken genetics is fascinating. Our third home grown chick didn't make it :-( I think I 'helped' too much. Patience is a virtue....
So from this hatch I got three out of 15. Really disappointing numbers, but since all three of ours hatched and from what people on this thread think I may have bought old hatching eggs. I didn't even get pippers; just a ton of late quitters. I went and bought 6 Ameraucana pullet chicks from a new hatchery here in a variety of colors so I have nine, plus I brought the runt of my BBS Orpingtons in from the coop to keep the early hatcher company while her batchmates showed up. Still disappointed, but I learned a lot again and have some blue egg layers.

Tonight is lockdown for me. I can't see crap in most of these eggs. I need to get some new batteries and see if I can at least tell if they are all still going. I'd get one of those super bright military flashlights they were advertising, but I fear they'd be blinded for life. This little light I have is great when it's got brand new batteries, but it drains batteries really fast. Doesn't matter whether they are duracel or dollar store batteries. My previous plans were to leave Friday for my weekend away. (Just to clarify, my weekend away is not by myself...lol My son is going too. It's "our" weekend away I guess I should say.) I might have a chance to get out of here Thursday night. Thursday is OFFICIAL hatch day. My hatches generally usually run most of their courses on day 19/20, but the bator has been so steady for this incubation that with my luck they will actually hatch on time instead of early. And even though my sister will be here and technically the babies are for her, I'm a better assister....lol Ok, she actually sucks assisting, She had too many assists die. So I'm hoping that the babies are all hatched by Thursday afternoon at the latest.

Does anyone use a flashlight for candling that they love? I have been using our big Maglight and while it's plenty bright enough it's BIG and heavy and hard to wrap my hand around the end to capture the light. I had a toilet paper roll taped around the end but there was some complaining from the husband about me 'ruining' his good flashlight. I also worry about dropping it on an egg or whacking an egg with it since it's solid metal and weighs about 5 lbs.

Last edited:
Tonight is lockdown for me. I can't see crap in most of these eggs. I need to get some new batteries and see if I can at least tell if they are all still going. I'd get one of those super bright military flashlights they were advertising, but I fear they'd be blinded for life. This little light I have is great when it's got brand new batteries, but it drains batteries really fast. Doesn't matter whether they are duracel or dollar store batteries. My previous plans were to leave Friday for my weekend away. (Just to clarify, my weekend away is not by myself...lol My son is going too. It's "our" weekend away I guess I should say.) I might have a chance to get out of here Thursday night. Thursday is OFFICIAL hatch day. My hatches generally usually run most of their courses on day 19/20, but the bator has been so steady for this incubation that with my luck they will actually hatch on time instead of early. And even though my sister will be here and technically the babies are for her, I'm a better assister....lol Ok, she actually sucks assisting, She had too many assists die. So I'm hoping that the babies are all hatched by Thursday afternoon at the latest.

fl.gif
hoping that nothing ruins your trip!

My son bought me one of the tactical military flashlights, that thing is super bright. 350 lumens. Problem is, the batteries are different... and difficult to find... and expensive! (last time I bought them, I paid $12 for a pack of 2!) and they run down fairly quickly also. So if you do get a different flashlight, pay attention to the batteries. My other flashlight, Mag-lite Mini-mag is 325 lumens, very bright also, and uses normal AAA's, and I also find that fresh ones are great, but they also seem to dim quickly, but stay at about that next dim-ness level for a long time.

I locked down the 6 bantam cochin eggs last night. All 6 that I set were fertile and all 6 made it to lockdown. Could see a bit of draw down this morning (through the window)

fl.gif

My son bought me one of the tactical military flashlights, that thing is super bright. 350 lumens. Problem is, the batteries are different... and difficult to find... and expensive! (last time I bought them, I paid $12 for a pack of 2!) and they run down fairly quickly also. So if you do get a different flashlight, pay attention to the batteries. My other flashlight, Mag-lite Mini-mag is 325 lumens, very bright also, and uses normal AAA's, and I also find that fresh ones are great, but they also seem to dim quickly, but stay at about that next dim-ness level for a long time.

I locked down the 6 bantam cochin eggs last night. All 6 that I set were fertile and all 6 made it to lockdown. Could see a bit of draw down this morning (through the window)

Thanks for the flashlight help!

Does anyone use a flashlight for candling that they love? I have been using our big Maglight and while it's plenty bright enough it's BIG and heavy and hard to wrap my hand around the end to capture the light. I had a toilet paper roll taped around the end but there was some complaining from the husband about me 'ruining' his good flashlight. I also worry about dropping it on an egg or whacking an egg with it since it's solid metal and weighs about 5 lbs.

This one is my favorite. It holds 3 AAA batteries
maglite_xl200_3099_640.jpg

Look at the "LUMENS" on the packaging! Anything above 100 lumens will be great, above 200 will be awesome. If the flashlight looks good, but only says 5 lumens, don't waste your money!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
fl.gif

Thank you!! Me too since this is my 3rd plan attempt to get away this year....lol

And yes, that's exactly what I am talking about!! They start really bright and dim down quickly but the light last a long time at the dimmer brightenss. Mine uses the AAA. I want one that uses AAs cause I always have them on hand....lol

Good luck on yours too!!!

For a couple weeks now I've delt with trying to ignore certain issues and comments made between the two threads that I started (hands on hatching and help and she said/he said) and it's getting so frustrating that I am going to say a couple things. I try to be poliet and tolerant and not make other people's experiences on BYC crappy for them, but I realized by not voicing my grievances, I'm making it more unpleasant for myself and the other members of these two threads that contribute greatly and are getting frustrated as well, and there are many.

OK, first, if you are going to post on here and respond to something someone else says, for the good grace of God and our sanity, QUOTE the person that you are talking too!!!!! Or at least tag them!! It's getting obnoxious trying to figure out who certain people are talking to or what issue they are addressing, when quotes or tags are not used. The feature is there for a reason. It doesn't mess up anything or "hurt" to use it, and makes it easier to figure out what the heck you are talking about.

My second biggest gripe is what the threads were started for. The She said/He said thread was started so that hatchers from different philosophies could come together and compare and discuss how they hatch and what works for them and help others to see that there are MANY ways and philosophies/methods that work with great success. This threads promotes differences and tolerance through civil discussion and offers help to those who come looking.

HOWEVER
The hands on hatching and help thread, is exactly for what the thread title reads. This is for hands on hatchers- people who are more involved with their hatch, that are not hands "off". This is for people who want to assist chicks, candle and be able to open their bator without having to hear someone gripe about them doing so. It is not a place to come and throw in hands off approaches, to tell people they shouldn't be candling or assisting or whatever they are doing that differs from your hands off perspective. We are a HANDS ON group, we don't care that you think candling is bad. Please respect the very essence of what the thread was created for. We understand that our way isn't the only way, that's fine, but this is what the thread is about. If you are not hands on, looking for help or understanding of our "way" then it's probably not the thread for you. Because I will get very loud and probably not poliet when I see anti- hands on remarks on a hands on thread. I don't like looking like a pyscho witch, so please don't make me.

Just a note of thought: If you are asking for help and advice -anywhere and people are willing to help you and take time to process your problem and give you suggestions and you shoot every single thing down that they say, you probably aren't going to recieve a lot of help in the future, after all, you don't need it, cause you already know it all......

Back
Top Bottom