Hands on hatching and help

That's called a paint?  Okay, I got 2 of those...hard to tell them apart!  :lau

Thanks Ravyn and Amy.  And @WVduckchick
 thanks for holding my hand this morning, especially after you'd just l lost yours!.

Blooie, some of the light/white ones might actually be paints too. I've had some that looked totally white at hatch and then within a few weeks they had some spots. And also most of the black ones are split to paint, so they carry those genes also.

Well, the chicks are doing good. Brought them to camp with me for the weekend!
And the little star gazer healed up perfectly! She's the dark black one with the darkest beak, no head dot. Thanks @RavynFallen ;)

Oh wow....adorable!

Hanging out with Serama eggs and eggs from my favourite layer who got taken by the fox yesterday :(

Sorry to hear that! At least you have some of her eggs. :hugs

He's taken some sugar water. Looking better and better. He's still a bit sleepy and not as boisterous as some chicks I've had but I guess the last part of his incubation he was pretty squished

I think you can actually make a good electrolyte using sugar and salt. Good thinking!
How do you get chicks to stand still long enough to get that kind of photo??  Cute babies!

We got one more during the night.  Another little dark one.  So that's a total of 9 in the brooder right now, and one still rocking in the incubator.  I water candled the remaining 5 eggs, and 4 were totally lifeless.  But #14 set that water to rippling, so it is back in the bator.  Remember early on I mentioned that a couple seemed to be a little behind in development, so I was moving them from spot to spot in the incubator.  I think this might have been one of those.  Eggtopsies on the others (ain't ya'll proud of me??) showed 4 dead chicks, but the only common denominator in 3 of them was that the membrane seemed pretty doggone tough.  The other one must have nicked a vein because there was a lot of blood in the egg.  So now we just wait for #14 to finish cooking and hope we get our tenth chick out of the 14 that went into the lockdown.  

Great job!! Shipped eggs are notorious for lockdown deaths. :fl for number 10!

Well, we did the introductions! In the interim another baby had hatched and the last egg externally pipped. I've been debating all say whether to try and foster my baby turkey onto the hen as well. He's 10 days old but turkeys apparently mature less slowly so more like a 5-6 day old chick in temperament and size. In the end I just decided to go for it.

Initial signs were great. Mama hen just sort of purred when I put the two babies under. The little hatchling settled and was quiet immediately, the turkey cheeped a while and then went quiet. The mama didn't seem fussed at all. I checked an hour later and all was well, the three little babies including my fighter were under the breast all snuggly warm, and the turkey was at the tail end peeping out.

I'll check again before bed (10pm here already) but I am really really hoping it works out. I need to take down a chick feeder and water as the turkey poult will need to be eating and drinking....

Turkey babies need a bird mom! So happy she took him. What a good mama!

This morning I was able to score 10 local call duck eggs! And there were two extra, smaller eggs in the carton that she said were buff/black silkie eggs she threw in. Guess I'll incubate those for the heck of it. So happy to find some local calls to hatch along with the shipped. I filled my incubators 2 days ago though. So I fired up the new hova bator and I'm trying to get the temp stabilized. Need to find my calibrated glass thermometer. Then I'll move some of the chicken eggs over there and put the calls in the mini. I might have to use the moisture control stuff because I'm running 50% humidity with not a drop of water in there. So much hatching going on this spring!!

Well doggone it! One posted but not the others, even after trying to edit! Anyway, @RubyNala97, these are especially for you - Katie with her flashlight watching two of them hatch. The little silver one was out and wobbling right in front of Katie and in one picture you can see the little yellow one zipping like mad!

Last edited:
Blooie, some of the light/white ones might actually be paints too. I've had some that looked totally white at hatch and then within a few weeks they had some spots. And also most of the black ones are split to paint, so they carry those genes also.
Oh wow....adorable!
Sorry to hear that! At least you have some of her eggs.
hugs.gif

I think you can actually make a good electrolyte using sugar and salt. Good thinking!
Great job!! Shipped eggs are notorious for lockdown deaths.
fl.gif
for number 10!
Turkey babies need a bird mom! So happy she took him. What a good mama!
Don't forget the white one I have that is feathering in gray!!! lol

Well here they are! Still one in the incubator. We lost the little girl who was hatched last night with the un-absorbed yolk.

Awe. So happy you got a decent hatch!!!!

Hi, I'm Jennifer and I'm new here. I just ordered my first ever batch of hatching eggs. I'm sure I'll be here soon enough with loads of questions lol. :)

Hi Jennifer. Your new eggs will be shipped? Shipped eggs need special treatment as they can get very damaged in transit. But we can help you. What incubator are you using? And what breed eggs are coming?

Back
Top Bottom