Hands on hatching and help

It's my understanding (and goodness knows I've been wrong a LOT) that Blue/Black/Splash is all the same color gene, so you can get all three in a single hatch.  Splash is a blue bird with splashes of dark color.
Jubilee and spangled/mottled have splashes of white and are a different color gene entirely.

You can, but only if you have the right combinations. Blue birds bred to blue birds will produce blue, black, and splash offspring. Blue bred to splash will produce only blue and splash. Blue bred to black will produce only blue and black. Splash bred to splash will produce only splash, and black bred to black will produce only black.

It's my understanding (and goodness knows I've been wrong a LOT) that Blue/Black/Splash is all the same color gene, so you can get all three in a single hatch.  Splash is a blue bird with splashes of dark color.
Jubilee and spangled/mottled have splashes of white and are a different color gene entirely.

You can, but only if you have the right combinations. Blue birds bred to blue birds will produce blue, black, and splash offspring. Blue bred to splash will produce only blue and splash. Blue bred to black will produce only blue and black. Splash bred to splash will produce only splash, and black bred to black will produce only black.

So if you bred a jubilee to another jubilee do you get jubilee or something entirely different?

So if you bred a jubilee to another jubilee do you get jubilee or something entirely different?

Jubilee is an entirely different gene than BBS, and I'm not actually familiar with it, but I would think that you get jubilee when breeding two jubilees.

Jubilee is an entirely different gene than BBS, and I'm not actually familiar with it, but I would think that you get jubilee when breeding two jubilees.

Sorry for all the questions. The jubilee thread seems pretty dead. I've fallen in love with their apearance and if I end up likin their temperament as well I was thinking about breeding them. We will see though.. :)

Sorry for all the questions. The jubilee thread seems pretty dead. I've fallen in love with their apearance and if I end up likin their temperament as well I was thinking about breeding them. We will see though..
smile.png

Breeding two Jubilees should definitely product nothing but Jubilee chicks. They are gorgeous, but I started this adventure with the intent of only having Lavender Cuckoo Orpingtons and now I have the Cuckoos, Blue, Splash, and Chocolate Orps, Ameraucanas, Black Copper Marans and Easter Eggers.
Not sure how that happened...lol...

I really want Cream Legbars next Spring too...

Last edited:
Breeding two Jubilees should definitely product nothing but Jubilee chicks.  They are gorgeous, but I started this adventure with the intent of only having Lavender Cuckoo Orpingtons and now I have the Cuckoos, Blue, Splash, and Chocolate Orps, Ameraucanas, Black Copper Marans and Easter Eggers.
Not sure how that happened...lol...

I really want Cream Legbars next Spring too...

Oh I hear ya. I just wanted some colorful eggs. We don't have alot of those breeds for sale around here so I bought an incubator and some hatching eggs. Since then we have partridge and buff silkies, welsummers, ancona ducks and the jubilee orpingtons. That's just hatching eggs lol. My husband sais it's a sickness lol.. :)

Oh I hear ya. I just wanted some colorful eggs. We don't have alot of those breeds for sale around here so I bought an incubator and some hatching eggs. Since then we have partridge and buff silkies, welsummers, ancona ducks and the jubilee orpingtons. That's just hatching eggs lol. My husband sais it's a sickness lol..
smile.png

My husband's exact words were "When you start talking about chickens you lose your farking mind."

My 8 year old son took a dive off his scooter after dinner tonight. Cut up his knee pretty bad. As I'm bending over cleaning his bloody knee, he tells me "I think my arm is broken"...what?! He was right. It's broken. Sitting in the hospital....motherhood is not so glorious. And I quoted a lot of posts that were already answered so this may seem redundant but I'm on my phone and dead tired so keeping them...
@Amy LynneOk...so glad someone led me to this thread. Yippie I'm New to hatching and my son wants to breed chickens for a business. And let's just say we are not off to the best start. All eggs shipped and less then half hatch rate. We are on our 2nd hatch now and only 3 of over 2 dozen have hatched. 2 with our help. And they don't look good either. Maybe we should have left them alone. Ugh. Today is day 21 and I am so sad. I have other eggs still in with no pip and I know some were alive at day 18 candle but not much movement. I removed the healthy chick (Rosecomb). But the two golden sebrights I left in. I put in grow gel but they show no interest. Just hobbled away from it. ...Sigh Any help would be great.
They will not be interested in it right away. Give them some time to strengthen. Did you take any special precautions with the shipped eggs? What was your regimen with them from the time they arrived on?
I have a Hova-bator with turner. Kept at 99 but day 19 took down to 98. Humidity was 40/50 till lockdown. It was about 72. Now it's 77. I assume cause of wet chicks. Sigh. I just want to get this down before I waste any more money. @WVduckchick
I run q little higher temp. Usually around 100. Did you monitor the air cells? How did they look? Also did you calibrate a separate hygrometer and thermometer?
I know about the crowded Hatches---LOL This is a basic hatch----I never took a pic of the trays LOADED--Hatch
:th Wow!!!!! That's a LOT of chicks!! You rock!
YAY!! I have to tell you, girl, I envy your patience. I could NOT wait 40 hours without messing...lol I got up to 7 or 8 and it was just too crowded and that's in a LG.
Amy, when I counted how many hours it had been I thought About you!! I knew the chick was not ready from when it pipped. It was not drawn down, FULL of veins and fluid/space. I was shocked it pipped. Besides peeking in the pip the next morning I didn't touch it once! Just shined my candler in and made sure it was alive. And x2.
Hey I know this is not really hatching related but when you all hatch extras that your not keeping how do you decide on price to sale them?
It really boils down to quality. With my chicks I have a certain price range and I list for a specific price but once they hatch that price can go up or down a couple dollars depending on how close to SOP they are.
Yes! I've seen the new incuturn turners. I really like the looks of them. They are much more natural than the verticle ones
I want one so bad!
Big day for the little Silkies tomorrow. Supervised visitation with the flock! Their heating pad has been turned down to 2 for a couple of days and they don't even seem to notice. So tomorrow I'll let all the Bigs and the Littles outside, close the run, and open the portal doors on the brooder pen. After they've had a little time to explore and learn where the portal doors so they can escape any unwanted attentions of others, the run door will be opened and the Tiny's will be able to get as adventurous as they want. If this follows the usual pattern, the older chicks will head immediately to the brooder, but they've gotten so big they won't fit through portals. Frankly I'm a little more concerned about them than I am about the adults - the adults been through this process many times before so they usually just look, peck if a chick gets too close, then ignore them. But the older chicks (Yokel and Wilbur, my first ever home hatched chicks, and the other 6 we bought to keep them company are about 8 weeks old and Sluff, the NN hiding in an Australorp shell, is around 5 weeks. The Silkies and the other 8 from MPC, are 3 weeks. Boy, time flies!! I want to have full integration in another 4 or 5 days to simplify chicken care when Ken, Katie and I leave town for 10 days next week. Should be no problem...never have had an integration issue doing it this way. Wish us luck!
I love the portal idea! I thought it was amazing from the second I saw the first pics! If you have mostly LF just make sure the silkies don't get bullied or picked on. Because of their vaulted skulls they are prone to brain injuries from pecking. I know you'll do great, though!!
Here she is...
Did the zipper get out?

My 8 year old son took a dive off his scooter after dinner tonight. Cut up his knee pretty bad. As I'm bending over cleaning his bloody knee, he tells me "I think my arm is broken"...what?! He was right. It's broken. Sitting in the hospital....motherhood is not so glorious.

And I quoted a lot of posts that were already answered so this may seem redundant but I'm on my phone and dead tired so keeping them...
They will not be interested in it right away. Give them some time to strengthen. Did you take any special precautions with the shipped eggs? What was your regimen with them from the time they arrived on?
I run q little higher temp. Usually around 100. Did you monitor the air cells? How did they look? Also did you calibrate a separate hygrometer and thermometer?
th.gif

Wow!!!!! That's a LOT of chicks!! You rock!
Amy, when I counted how many hours it had been I thought About you!! I knew the chick was not ready from when it pipped. It was not drawn down, FULL of veins and fluid/space. I was shocked it pipped. Besides peeking in the pip the next morning I didn't touch it once! Just shined my candler in and made sure it was alive.

And x2.
It really boils down to quality. With my chicks I have a certain price range and I list for a specific price but once they hatch that price can go up or down a couple dollars depending on how close to SOP they are.
I want one so bad!
I love the portal idea! I thought it was amazing from the second I saw the first pics! If you have mostly LF just make sure the silkies don't get bullied or picked on. Because of their vaulted skulls they are prone to brain injuries from pecking. I know you'll do great, though!!
Did the zipper get out?

So sorry about your son. But I do always say you shouldn't leave childhood without breaking a bone. It just shows you're doing it right!

Back
Top Bottom