Hands on hatching and help

I've got 2 more broodies too. My dilemma is that we are going away for awhile week, starting July 16th and both are due that week!! What should I do? Or what would you do? ;)
If you go they will probably both hatch while you're gone. If you stay they will not hatch until after you would have been home! :gig
I wait till a minimum of 24 hours up to 36 hours to make safety holes.
Pay attention to that. I've had that, it's not fun. Try holding him in your hand, with his head/beak pointing to the floor and scratch/rub the back of his neck with your finger to see if you can get any fluid up. Usually if it's bad they are not active so that's a good sign.

I'm not sure but it seems to be doing better. I haven't heard the cackle sound since the first time and it's stopped panting. I was worried about it catching a chill so I'm wondering now if it was to hot. It's just so tiny lol. The other 2 still haven't externally pipped and the 2 on top of those have movement but no internal pip yet. These guys are really taking there time.. :(

Has anybody had any recent hatches
frow.gif

Has anybody had any recent hatches
frow.gif
My seven have all hatched out now! Little concerned about the last one and watching it closely, but so far it's pulling through. I wasn't there when it hatched, and it pulled pretty hard on its own umbilical cord. But I think the navel is closing up now. It's just sleeping a lot and seems to *maybe* be having a balance issue, but it is only 6 hours old at this point so I'm giving it a little time.

Hey guys quick question for later on. I'm afraid it will happen after everyone goes to bed and their will be no one to walk me through it lol. So I made tiny pin holes in the 2 eggs that seemed to be taking forever to externally pip. They still have no external pip. I don't plan on helping unless they seem to start fading away. I will be checking on them tonight. If they don't seem to be doing well in the night is it safe to make a pip for the chick to try to get out on its own?

My seven have all hatched out now! Little concerned about the last one and watching it closely, but so far it's pulling through. I wasn't there when it hatched, and it pulled pretty hard on its own umbilical cord. But I think the navel is closing up now. It's just sleeping a lot and seems to *maybe* be having a balance issue, but it is only 6 hours old at this point so I'm giving it a little time.

Congrats on such a good hatch. I've had alot of chicks that are a little wobbly for the first few days. They have always pulled through it. Good luck. :)

Hey guys quick question for later on. I'm afraid it will happen after everyone goes to bed and their will be no one to walk me through it lol. So I made tiny pin holes in the 2 eggs that seemed to be taking forever to externally pip. They still have no external pip. I don't plan on helping unless they seem to start fading away. I will be checking on them tonight. If they don't seem to be doing well in the night is it safe to make a pip for the chick to try to get out on its own?

I'd let them do it themselves personally... were the temps low? Shipped or local eggs?

I'd let them do it themselves personally... were the temps low? Shipped or local eggs?

They were shipped eggs. I started with 12 and now am down to 5. This batch hasn't went well unfortunately. My worst batch ever. I haven't seen the temps low. It could have happened while I was sleeping though. One of them just finally pipped all on its own. I'm so relieved. I have the humidity at about 75 percent. Temp is steady at 37.5 celsius. It's forced air. I'm not sure why they are so late. I was turning them by hand. Maybe to cold then?

A safety hole is fine, but I personally wouldn't do a 'pip' for them in the area that they're likely to pip. I'd let them to that on their own. I've done safety holes before when I had rare and expensive birds (peafowl most recently, also geese) or when I was afraid the chick would turn when zipping and occlude its pip and suffocate, and they always pip and finish up on their own, no help needed :)

Back
Top Bottom