Hands on hatching and help

Good on the hatch but poor little sticky baby. Lol. You might have to give it a light bath with baby shampoo if he dries really hard. It's so funny seeing the hard babies next to the fluffy babies!
No, nothing yet. I've refrained from opening the incubator since so much of the outer (and a little of the inner) membrane is exposed. But I'm thinking, if it's still alive it should be internally pipped today. With all that crushed shell it pretty much has an external pip already, right? I don't know. I'll check and update....actually I just checked now but it's really bright in the house. I could tell the cracks went all the way through but I didn't hear cheeping and I couldn't make out movement for sure. The egg felt heavy, which usually closer to hatch the lighter they feel. So I don't have a good feeling. Now if the chick doesn't make it, when will the broody give up??

Wasn't she on a couple other eggs? What happened to them? You could either give her a few more new ones, knowing she may not stick out the full process, or just let her get tired of sitting.
There's also a thread on how to break one, but I've never tried that.

Just wanted to give a quick update on my weak cochin chick. She is just like new after getting some fluids in her. I think she just got a little to warm under the brooder light.
This is one of the reasons that I would never leave chicks in the incubator for prolonged periods of time, (over 24 hours). While yes, in theory a chick can survive off the absorbed egg yolk for up to 3 days, we, one, do not know when the chick fully absorbed the yolk-according to the Cobbs development chart this usually takes place between day 19 and 20, which would mean those that do already are useing that source. And you also have to consider the possibility of dehydration that takes place during hatching. I like mine to at least have the electrolyte enhanced water and food available and then if they are not ready to eat- no foul, but it's available. Almost all of my chicks are at least drinking within the first 24 hours, a good share w/in the first 12. Eating is hit or miss. I get some that are pecking and eating in the first day and some that really aren't interested until the second day.

Glad to hear that she is doing better.

A quick update on my aspirating chick - it made it! It's actually doing well now. Unfortunately it's not a keeper as far as breeding goes but I'm considering keeping it as a layer if it's a female.

I also set three peafowl eggs and ten WH eggs today, and I'll be locking down some AC eggs later.
Glad the chick lived! What color pea eggs did you set?

-Kathy

This is one of the reasons that I would never leave chicks in the incubator for prolonged periods of time, (over 24 hours). While yes, in theory a chick can survive off the absorbed egg yolk for up to 3 days, we, one, do not know when the chick fully absorbed the yolk-according to the Cobbs development chart this usually takes place between day 19 and 20, which would mean those that do already are useing that source. And you also have to consider the possibility of dehydration that takes place during hatching. I like mine to at least have the electrolyte enhanced water and food available and  then if they are not ready to eat- no foul, but it's available. Almost all of my chicks are at least drinking within the first 24 hours, a good share w/in the first 12. Eating is hit or miss. I get some that are pecking and eating in the first day and some that really aren't interested until the second day.

Glad to hear that she is doing better.

I'm with you on that... get them out sooner rather than later.

-Kathy

I'm with you both. I don't plan on leaving them in that long again. I was suprised how weak this one was. It scared me quite a bit. I'm just happy they have all hatched now and are doing great. Can't wait to see what colors they turn out to be since I got a mixed bunch of eggs. :)

Glad the chick lived! What color pea eggs did you set?

-Kathy

I'm not entirely sure! The pictures of the parents appear to be at least one black shoulder male, an india blue male, and india blue hens, but I'm told they produce lighter colored offspring (I think white and blackshoulder) so the parents are likely splits.

Here are a few pics. The last one is still drying out. :)

Back
Top Bottom