Hands on hatching and help

I was under the impression. That paste up could go internal and cause constipation if allowed to build up. Wondering if this is just the case?
Anyways, I assume you guys have syringes that you are feeding chicks chick sav and stuff? I would continue to use those with her to make sure she is getting enough fluids. I would also use a little olive or safflower oil in a syringe and try and place it in the vent opening. Don't force the oil in, but try and allow the oil to lubricate the hard poo. It might not come out right away, but oil will penetrate the feces over time and soften it.

Yeah I've heard that too but I know that's not it because we check her every day. No way has it built up. I also see her drinking fluids every day. She was born sick and we have been having problems since hatch.

Try soaking her in a warm Epsom bath?

I've been soaking her in warm water for about 20 mins now. No epsom salt. I'll add that and see if it helps. Thank you..

Just got off the phone with the vet. They said we can bring her in tomorrow but they didn't sound like they could do anything for her. I can feel how big the blockage is and I don't know how I missed this. I just cleaned her a dew days ago and didn't feel it then. I seriously thought she was going to make it but I think I'm going to have to cull her. It's the humane thing to do. I can tell she is tired of pushing and I cant get anything out. I'm just sitting out here freaking crying my eyes out like a baby... if the vet doesn't have hope then what is there I can do? This is the Pitts you guys.. :(

She pooped!! I put her in a separate box with just water and save a chick electrolytes. I'm so scared I'm actually shaking thinking I was going to have to put her down. I'm going to go do some research to see how to prevent this from reoccurring. God is good!! What a miracle!! :)

She pooped!! I put her in a separate box with just water and save a chick electrolytes. I'm so scared I'm actually shaking thinking I was going to have to put her down. I'm going to go do some research to see how to prevent this from reoccurring. God is good!! What a miracle!! :)

So glad! The bath softened the poo enough for her to pass it. It absorbed the water. I'm happy that she has you. :D

They are adorable
smile.png

I can always tell early on by comb as long as their are females and males together. The boys almost always start to red many weeks before the girls.
I am usualy pretty good at guessing mine as long as they have a single comb. All the others-forget it.

Hey guys!!!!! I have a quick question. My BCM hen has decided she might be broody. I saw this am sitting and when I looked underneath her I saw one of her eggs. Well for s and g I gave her 2 more eggs which she slid underneath herself. I have been gone all day and got home to find her still sitting on the eggs. So I want to put some underneath her, however everytime I move her to the broody cage she wants out....but when she gets back into the nesting area of the main coop she sits.
hmm.png
Im stumped. What should I do?
That's exactly the way mine have been. I ended up having to let her sit in the nest she wanted and marking teh eggs and just checking her 2-3 times a day. My banty did let me cage her after they internally pipped w/o moving, but my Spitz was no way.

Thanks. I'm just happy she is ok. She is one of the chicks I assisted. She had problems hatching and then problems ever since.. I love her to pieces though. I'm praying we will get to a point where she will just be healthy.
smile.png
Have you tried a little unpasteurized ACV in the water? I've heard arguements for and against, but I know a lot of people swear by it.

Well.....I am going to guess her some time in the cage on fake eggs and see if she settles on them. She was eye balling them just a second ago. Lol!!

I don't know if I can just leave her in the original space.....it's a weird setup where tall the other hens lay their eggs and where they roost. So she may get them if they go up there. Lol!!

I'm not a fan of broodies. They just seem to cause trouble for me, lol. I have one now that's in the nest box (the one that everyone likes) and I just marked her eggs and lift her butt up twice a day to check for new eggs. The girls have actually started laying in a pile of bedding right in front of that nest box. Isn't it funny how they look at the eggs!!?!!

Geez so I was just checking my problematic silkie tweety. She has something like paste up but internal. Is their anything I can do for this? How do I get it out?

I saw that she pooped!!! How does it feel now?? How could you tell it was internal? Was there a bulge? You could try adding a little acv to her water with "the mother".

I was under the impression. That paste up could go internal and cause constipation if allowed to build up. Wondering if this is just the case?
Anyways, I assume you guys have syringes that you are feeding chicks chick sav and stuff? I would continue to use those with her to make sure she is getting enough fluids. I would also use a little olive or safflower oil in a syringe and try and place it in the vent opening. Don't force the oil in, but try and allow the oil to lubricate the hard poo. It might not come out right away, but oil will penetrate the feces over time and soften it.

We used to have a bearded dragon that got constipated all the time and the vet said to soak her butt in olive oil and to put a couple drops in her mouth for her to ingest. I wonder if that would work with chicks?

Just got off the phone with the vet. They said we can bring her in tomorrow but they didn't sound like they could do anything for her. I can feel how big the blockage is and I don't know how I missed this. I just cleaned her a dew days ago and didn't feel it then. I seriously thought she was going to make it but I think I'm going to have to cull her. It's the humane thing to do. I can tell she is tired of pushing and I cant get anything out. I'm just sitting out here freaking crying my eyes out like a baby... if the vet doesn't have hope then what is there I can do? This is the Pitts you guys.. :(

I learned the hard way that the vets often can't do much unless you're willing to pay a astronomical amount of money. I actually had a pullet that I thought was constipated at first. I could feel something hard right inside her vent and there was poop stuck all over her but after a warm soak all the poop was gone and the "impaction" was still there. Turned out to be a growth. Did you feel her after she went? Is it gone?

Don't give up on her Jen! I have a Splash Orpington chick that has struggled since the day we brought her home. Every time I bring home new chicks she goes in with them because her friends outgrow her. She has balance issues , possible neurological compromises, who knows what. Weirdly enough since my broody hen started sitting on her she has come along miraculously. I saw her flap her wings today! For her, that is huge.

I am usualy pretty good at guessing mine as long as they have a single comb. All the others-forget it.

That's exactly the way mine have been.  I ended up having to let her sit in the nest she wanted and marking teh eggs and just checking her 2-3 times a day.  My banty did let me cage her after they internally pipped w/o moving, but my Spitz was no way.

Have you tried a little unpasteurized ACV in the water?  I've heard arguements for and against, but I know a lot of people swear by it.

I haven't tried it. I have heard others talk about it but honestly I don't know what it is lol.

I'm not a fan of broodies. They just seem to cause trouble for me, lol. I have one now that's in the nest box (the one that everyone likes) and I just marked her eggs and lift her butt up twice a day to check for new eggs. The girls have actually started laying in a pile of bedding right in front of that nest box. Isn't it funny how they look at the eggs!!?!!
I saw that she pooped!!! How does it feel now?? How could you tell it was internal? Was there a bulge? You could try adding a little acv to her water with "the mother".
We used to have a bearded dragon that got constipated all the time and the vet said to soak her butt in olive oil and to put a couple drops in her mouth for her to ingest. I wonder if that would work with chicks?
I learned the hard way that the vets often can't do much unless you're willing to pay a astronomical amount of money. I actually had a pullet that I thought was constipated at first. I could feel something hard right inside her vent and there was poop stuck all over her but after a warm soak all the poop was gone and the "impaction" was still there. Turned out to be a growth. Did you feel her after she went? Is it gone?

Yes her bottom was bulging so I soaked her in warm water. When she pushed to go potty I could see a huge piece of hard poop trying to come out. I kept soaking her and massaging her bottom but it didn't seem to be doing anything. That's when I called the vet. I could feel the poop under her skin so I knew how big it was. The lady at the vet was really rude when I told her and basically was like we can't do anything about it. I had started to give up. My daughter was holding her under the light so she wouldn't catch a chill and came running out saying she pooped lol. I've never been so excited about chicken poop before lol

Don't give up on her Jen!  I have a Splash Orpington chick that has struggled since the day we brought her home.  Every time I bring home new chicks she goes in with them because her friends outgrow her.  She has balance issues , possible neurological compromises, who knows what.  Weirdly enough since my broody hen started sitting on her she has come along miraculously.  I saw her flap her wings today!  For her, that is huge.

We are going to keep chugging along as long as we can. Since she pooped we are going to try it again. Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely needed it. :)

I haven't tried it. I have heard others talk about it but honestly I don't know what it is lol.
Yes her bottom was bulging so I soaked her in warm water. When she pushed to go potty I could see a huge piece of hard poop trying to come out. I kept soaking her and massaging her bottom but it didn't seem to be doing anything. That's when I called the vet. I could feel the poop under her skin so I knew how big it was. The lady at the vet was really rude when I told her and basically was like we can't do anything about it. I had started to give up. My daughter was holding her under the light so she wouldn't catch a chill and came running out saying she pooped lol. I've never been so excited about chicken poop before lol
We are going to keep chugging along as long as we can. Since she pooped we are going to try it again. Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely needed it.
smile.png

Probiotics may help her if her digestive system is sluggish. Or it may be a one time thing. She must feel so much better now. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Back
Top Bottom