Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    @casportpony

Sorry to hear about your little one, I wonder if he got some down into the lungs. that gooy stuff is NASTY.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yeah, I know that, but a serious looking blood ring is a serious looking blood ring no matter which egg it is, I would think. That's what I meant - rather than showing every single one that looks like that, one should be sufficient to tell me what I'm looking at in the others. And a bobbling air cell in one would be the same in the others, just like a healthy looking embryo in one would look the same - maybe a little further ahead, maybe a little further behind, but healthy nonetheless. I just thought doing a few and then learning from them if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing would be better than a photo montage! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes pretty much...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

He might have, but pretty sure the yolk killed him. Will post pictures later.

-Kathy

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    X2

Wv, did you get a new incubator?

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, I did a few of these tonight and this is what I think I'm seeing.

[​IMG]
    This one looks great, and is moving in there a lot.

[​IMG]
    Big blood ring (?) going all the way around the lower part of the egg.

[​IMG]
    Another one that looks great and is moving, BUT the air cell moves a lot.

[​IMG]
    Clear?

[​IMG]
    No idea what I'm seeing in this one. Looks kinda clear, or like it's way behind the other good ones.

[​IMG]
    This one is a mess. Big, thick blood ring. (Ignore the upper red line - Ken was marking as I was holding the egg and flashlight and he grabbed the red fine point Sharpie in the dark.)

[​IMG]
    Saddle air cell??

[​IMG]
    Same egg (believe it or not) from the side.....there's a dancer in there despite how it looks.

The air cells look huge to me, but I've never done this before. Up the humidity? It's between 45 - 50 %.

Edited to add numbers...

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    2&6 are blood rings. 4&5 appear to be clears. The first one looks funky, but it might just be the pic, 3 does too. 7 Does look saddle cell-ish and 8 has a huge air cell.
    [​IMG]

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    <deep breath> So that means that at this point it's about as bad as I figured it was. And it's still really early so I could well lose more of them. How come a learning curve is so much more difficult to face when the "trying this"part involves living little critters?

Edited: I forgot to say thank you, Amy. Thank you! I took a short video of one of the ones you think looks funky - number 3. Let me get it up.

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This is the one Katiebug named "Queenie" for Dancing Queen. If I end up with only one, I sure hope this is it.

[​IMG]

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I'm just thinking about what you said when you said he was blowing bubbles..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by