Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes but you have to stop the bleeding otherwise it could bleed to death

2. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

Give him some vitamins. What does his navel look like, keep him in the bator

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

Were you able to get the bleeding to stop ??

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I take it you hand turn them? First when setting eggs time doesn't matter. Second when turning them if you turn them at least three times a day they will be good and the three times doesn't have to be every 8 hours. As long as there's four hours in between each turn they will be good. I would turn mine at 8:30am, 6:00pm and then again at 12:00pm.

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    This is what I want to do. I hate hatching in the 20. I'm going to get the one that Ravyn recommended. I forget the name but I want a still sitting hatch in. And one with good humidity at hatch. Which one did you get?
    I agree with what Amy said. And the air cells do look big but that's due to the shipping damage. My shipped call duck eggs have detached air cells that look just huge! There's nothing really you can do but what you're doing already. What day are these on? Usually by day 12, the air cells will firm up in strange shapes.
    Was this egg # 1 in the pictures?
    Look at all those eggs!! So exciting! Perfect setup too!

6. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    That number 4 pic looks empty to me.
    The number 5 pic are those eggs that drive me bonkers, [​IMG]swear I'll stare at them untill I MAKE myself see an outline&refuse to take them out of bater,then I get mad at myself for wasting its spot because 5days ago a new chick coulda been started there. I gotta get better&posts like these will help me move on next time so thanks for sharing!

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    When I first started incubating I used my turner, then I switched to hand turning, (not my first incubation), I found I much prefered the hand turning and even though I've had good rates with the exception of my very first hatch, when I started hand turning, my rates went up even more.

[​IMG]

8. CariAnn002

CariAnn002 New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Okay every one.. We just had 11 babies hatch under momma on Easter when we noticed her out with the babies I went to check on the nest.. There happen to be 6 left and we're getting very cold so I rushed them in candles them 4 viable eggs were in the six.. The eggs have been water candled and all move and have been light candles and can see babies and movement.. My question is how long do yall think these babies will take to hatch? Momma duck had 20 eggs and these happened to be on the bottom so I don't believe when momma was laying on them they were staying at a high enough temp and seem to be delveloping a lot slower.. While candling I have seen feet does that help indicate how far along they are??

9. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    And hopefully A.L. did get sleep after setting things up last night ,lol no one said we where allowed to sleep while incubating, whew.[​IMG]
    Wishing good numbers on that hatch for ya!

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I slept for a couple hours at a time from midnight to 7 to his morning....lol Checked the bator about every two hours..... I really wanted to set them at midnight, but then realized I had to monitor for a couple hours after so we decided since they'd been sitting for 12 hours to go ahead and set at 10, that way I could go to bed at midnight....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by