Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I agree, I constantly get people tell me, OMG, he's shrink wrapped how do I help him, when in fact it's not, usually LOL it's Sticky. LOL.. If you ever seen a membrane from a sticky chick, the membrane actually will show lumps and wrinkles making it look shrink wrapped but when you open it, BOOM all this fluid will come out. LOL

I always refer people to my site, Especailly if they are new, gives them a starting point, because there's soooo many conflicting hatching ways on the internet, it can be overwhelming and false information. I know, I was there, I thought I did all the research one could do and yet nothing seemed to work. i finally had to go with trail and error. Correct what I thought was wrong and keep trying. It's the only way to learn...

Candling, OMG, Candling is the best, I haven't heard any tell me they have been warned not to candle. LOL, I always Candle, I say candle as much as you can, it's a great way to see how the process works and gives you a better understanding as far as what actually happens. I have candled from day 1 to the end. I love watch the process and they grow sooooo fast in that little shell.

I get a lot of slack if the hatching isn't successful. I'm a SUPER star if it does but MAN, if it fails, WOW. I'm like the worst person in the world, it's like a no win situation. I have to keep telling myself, I didn't get this chick in this position.. LOL

2. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AND LET THE FUN BEGIN..

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    HOPE YOUR READY, keep him in there, he will be your start to a dominos affect.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I bought a cheap styro still-air bator yesterday to use as a hatcher. Just started my first staggered hatch... [​IMG]

[​IMG] Keep us posted and good luck with the others!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    OMG, yes, some people are so against candling. I just told a teacher this past week after she was told not to candle them much to not deprieve herself or the kids the chance to at least see the periodical progression of the growing chicks.

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I almost can't help myself to not stick the flashlight on them almost every evening. Now at least I can leave them in the tray most of the times.

A couple from last night...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They are looking good!
    I've got 9 of my Spizhauben eggs going in and 6 green eggs going in with the shipped. The oldest Spitz eggs are 10/11 days I think, so I'm curious as how they are going to do as well. The green eggs I won't be able to see crap in after a couple days....lol

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'll try to do that tonight.....the logistics and quality might be questionable but if I get any clear shots I'll try to post them. If I just do one from each "issue" I've seen and you guys tell me if I"m seeing what I think I'm seeing in them, then that should cover the rest that look the same, right?

9. EmilyB86

EmilyB86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Another one is on it's way!! I have found one my ducks has externally pipped on the bottom of the egg! So do I turn the egg the other way around?! X

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My sticky duckling died... Probable yolk sac infection. Will necropsy to confirm.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by