Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I know it's easy to say don't feel bad but hatching is a huge learning experience! And at the rate you're going you will be a pro in no time. You went with your gut, made a educated decision and added it all in to your knowledge and experience! If it was sloshing in the egg then it was totally dead! Sloshing is a huge flag that it's gone. Healthy embryos move around but they are very attached to the veins and inside of the egg. Receeding veins is another big flag. I had one slip by me and make it to lockdown because the embryo was super tiny but the veins were great so I left it. Haven't cracked it open yet, it's still in there. Now that one I'm perplexed about.
    Amy beat me to it. Yes, post pics, I'd like to see what it looks like.
    X2! The ugly stage with silkies is terrible!! :lau
    This was a chicken egg?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok, day 3 has begun. All 9 of the Spitzhauben eggs are developing. They are more on target time wise. Here's a couple pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's at least one spitzhauben egg that looks a little weaker than the others, but we'll see.

Now for the silkies, I don't know exactly how many, but I can see development in a good portion. Most of them are more on track with the timeline, 2 or three are more advanced. Couldn't get a great pic, but I tried with one of the advanced developments:

[​IMG]
    It's more impressive in person...lol
    There are 4 silkie eggs, that I have ear marked for "don't think they will development". A couple iffies. The rest have promise at this point.

Incubator isn't running as steady as I'd like. Having to monitor it closely, but nothing too major so far. Can't wait to see how these slkie eggs do.

3. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    After seeing that pic of a healthy embryo I feel a lot better. The egg I removed and broke open definitely had veins that were breaking down and thick black veins in it. Plus, the back end of it had not developed and the legs were not even there. Don't know if you guys could see that closely from the pic or not but it had definitely not formed right. Thanks for the picks and the help everyone!!!! I'll let you know what happens in a few days!!!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

5. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Thanks Ruby. I never thought there was sooo much to learn about hatching eggs in an incubator but wow was I wrong. I can read stuff on BYC from you pros and learn new stuff all day long about hatching. Can't wait to see all the hard work and research pay off and finally find some ducklings chirping up at me in the incubator, lol.

6. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Amazing pics..really glad you guys shared them!

7. kyleigh

kyleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Here is one of my eggs that is past due. I can't really tell much, but I thought it is worth a try. Maybe someone can show me something I'm missing. [​IMG]

8. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That's great, Amy! Love candling pics! And they are shipped! I should have shaken them up a little so you could see what real shipped eggs look like!! ;) (I'm just kidding!!)!!
    Hatch day is going to be amazing!! You're going to love it!! It will all pay off when you see those ducklings make their grand entrance!
    What breed is this? And how far past due? How were your temps throughout incubation? It doesn't look like it's ready to internally pip yet. I can't tell if it's still alive or not, though.

9. kyleigh

kyleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    It is an americauna. It's a day past due and the temp has been an average of 100 degrees Fahrenheit

10. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    so, what day is this duckling? looks like day 8 (im guessing?) or there abouts, to me?? very cool picture. the eye looks fully formed, i can see the iris and the pupil, very cool. God is amazing... thanks for sharing

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by