Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    @AnnikaLF Amy's eggs are about the same timing as yours and she will probably post more pics along the way (please, Amy :)) so I thought you may want to follow along!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Can't say wether it's still viable or not, but it has no draw drown and no internal pip that can be seen, so It's not anywhere on the verge of hatching. If you see no movement at all and no veining anywhere, I would say it was a quitter.
    I don't need to or want to...lol I'm happy with my short trip shipped eggs. lol At least 12 of them are developican't be sure, if I get 14 out of 12 developing, and they make it all the way, I'll be over the moon. I am monitoring this darn incubator all the time worried it'll kill them...lol I'm running my humidity a little higher than usual because the silkies are so darn small that the air cells are growing fast!! And half of my spitz were already a little larger from the low humidity storage. So we are running above 40% most of the time. I'll bring it back down later if I must.
    LOL OF course I will be, you know me. lol Actually, I need pics every day for my candling page on my site, so I am stressing to get decent pics!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Anyone here know the thiamine/b1 dosage for stargazing duckling????
    @casportpony

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You already tagged who I would have tagged for that....lol

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Right before internal pip the inner membrane forms to the chick. You can see it while candling. You'll see the contour of the chick and you'll be able to see movement along the outline. Usually internal pip happens very soon after. So that's what you should be looking for. If you can't see that or any movement then it may have already died. You can try water candling if you'd like. It's not always accurate but I've had an egg wiggle like crazy.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

That sounds good! My eggs love humidity. I don't know why but I keep my humidity really high and the air cells grow great!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'll see if I can find it...

-Kathy

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I am wondeing if it is because of the size. Logically, it needs to loose less moisture to grow compared to bigger eggs. For some reason the incubator this time is giving me a run for my money trying to keep it steady and both sides balanced.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Thi
    Thiamin as thiamin mononitrate. 100 mg/tablet. It's a b100 complex. Just drove 2 hrs 1 way to get it.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm getting irritated! I took 3 videos (short, like maybe 10 -15 seconds each) of my "dancers" the very day I said I would (day 8 it would have been I think) and my phone is giving me fits about uploading them to YouTube.....it's like it never even KNEW there WAS such a thing as YouTube. But I've got 'em, and as soon as I find the cable I'll just put 'em up directly on the computer and then load them. I promised I'd post them a couple of days ago, and I will get them up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by