Hands on hatching and help

Well I have a baby!
1f60d.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/conte
nt/type/61/id/7368941/width/200/height/400
He is thrashing around and seems to be doing well. This glob of stuff came out with him also? Wasn't attached or anything. Any idea what it is?

Congratulations!
I helped a quail chick that had goopy stuff in the egg. The chick dried all crusty and never really fluffed much.
But the chick still did absolutely fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Congratulations!
I helped a quail chick that had goopy stuff in the egg. The chick dried all crusty and never really fluffed much.
But the chick still did absolutely fine so I wouldn't worry about it.
A little warm wet cloth and that stuff should come right off. Keeping an eye on those flappy feet would be more of a concern right now then anything.

It is at bator says 101, but thermometer inside is at 98, my bator doesn't have a fan. It drop some after he came out and humidity went up to 80%. The temp wire is being moved around by the baby tho.
101 is good, Yeh the humidity will go up, that's OK, it shouldn't stay that high long, once he fluffs up, hang tight let him dry off a bit and lets see if he still shakes...

He
101 is good, Yeh the humidity will go up, that's OK, it shouldn't stay that high long, once he fluffs up, hang tight let him dry off a bit and lets see if he still shakes...
[/quote
He has stopped shivering now and looks to be trying to clean off his feathers. He isn't walking the best but is staying upright. His neck looks crooked as well... Not like wry neck to one side but like it is shaped the way it was curled in the shell. I'm scared for the little guy. Also since he is covered in goop how will I know he is dry? How long do you leave them in the bator before you move them to the brooder? Thanks again.

Here is a pic of him. I will try to get a better one once he is out of the bator.
I can see he's already starting to dry off, give him some time, hell be OK, I wouldn't worry about the neck right now. Think of it as a human baby, when they come out, they have no neck control they can't walk etc. After some time, everything falls in to place. he was just born so he's gonna need that time. Keep him in there for at least 24 hours after that lets see how he looks and acts. I'm still a little worried about the feet but I can see he's already starting to pull them close to his body, so he's getting strength. He'll get stronger and stronger each hour, so I think we just need for him to have a little more time. After 24 hours we can correct things that still don't seem right...

Ravyn and WV told me ducks like to take their sweet sweet time before hatching either on the due date or a day after. I would be extremely careful about assisting. Good luck with it!!!! Tomorrow is day 14 on those Silkie eggs and I have only lost one so far!!!! I am super excited!

You've got that right. They take their sweet lil time...

Back
Top Bottom