Hands on hatching and help

That's what grandmas are for, spoiling them rotten then sending em cack to mom and dad. That;s a time honored tradition lol

Yeah, but in our case I have them more than mom and dad do!
lau.gif

Well this outta be interesting, looks like 2 more hens another barred rock and a buff orpington going broody, both have been on empty nests all day screaming and neck feathers making em look like raptors from Jurassic park lol.

Have a new little incubator for 7 eggs, but didn't pay attention so gotta look up what F is as this one is in celsius lol
Sounds like my coop, only mine all fight over the same nesting spot.

Okay folks please enlighten me to what is nn and sg you are talking about?
Yes, naked neck and show girls

Thanks The only way to learn is by asking questions. I love this site I have learned so much from BYC.
This is a high quality Show girl- my dream chicken:

Yeah, but in our case I have them more than mom and dad do!
lau.gif
LOL

So I have a few eggs in the incubator 6 were German Spitz. one hatched a day early on the 20th day which was the 30th and they rest were moving around guite a bit yesterday but I see no movement in the eggs today on the 22 day could the one that hatched messed up the chicks when he was moving around in the incubator or are they fine? I also have a few German bielefelder which are on day day 21st.And only have one Blue laced red wyandotte because others quit early and he was moving a lot yesterday and could hear him chirping so did pip internally but never externally piped but didn't see movement this morning are they just resting to prepare to hatch or could they have died.

So I have a few eggs in the incubator 6 were German Spitz. one hatched a day early on the 20th day which was the 30th and they rest were moving around guite a bit yesterday but I see no movement in the eggs today on the 22 day could the one that hatched messed up the chicks when he was moving around in the incubator or are they fine? I also have a few German bielefelder which are on day day 21st.And only have one Blue laced red wyandotte because others quit early and he was moving a lot yesterday and could hear him chirping so did pip internally but never externally piped but didn't see movement this morning are they just resting to prepare to hatch or could they have died.
One chick moving around in the bator isn't going to kill the others. I personally don't like chicken soccer being played and don't leave my chicks in the bator for hours, but they won't compromise a hatch either.

Whether something else has compromised the hatch or not is another story. I, personally, would candle and assess the situation.

Well, my hatch isn't going as well as the last one.

Long story shortened, on day 18, I had 4 lavender orpingtons and 6 golden sebrights. I knew 2 of the GS were questionable, but left them in. I could tell by day 20 they were goners. 1 lavender hatched without problem. Next lavender made a huge hole, but wouldn't spin. First sebright zipped 3/4 of the way and stalled. So I pulled each of those out and assisted, and they are fine. Finally another sebright started zipping and made it all the way around, but didn't push the cap off. Then I could tell it was stuck, so I had to help that one too. Then a 3rd lavender pipped.. on the wrong end... through a blood vessel! Andother sebright had internally pipped on day 20, but I couldn't see movement yesterday. Pulled it this morning and its DIS, as is another one, I think. When I left home this morning, 2 lavenders and 2 sebrights were out, with the wrong-end pipper still going. I think the rest are gone.
sad.png

I need to recheck my hygrometers. I think it was too dry, even though the readings were fine, and I was using the exact setup as I did last time, as far as sponges and channels. Membranes were really crispy. I swear, I still think it had to do with switching from heating to air conditioning in the house, mid-incubation.
hmm.png

I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to show. My understanding of the water test for eggs that are late to hatch is to put each one in a bowl of warm water, one at a time, then let it settle. Watch it. If there are teeny ripples in the water, the embryo is still alive and moving, even if it's so slight that we can't normally see it by just looking at it. I just don't see where putting them all in a pan of water at once shows much, if anything. Not trying to be argumentative - just trying to learn.
X4 see my comment below.
It's a sink of water. 100 degrees. 6 sank out right. We did let it settle each time we put an egg in. At the end I took a picture I didn't have enough film. I was yousing partners phone and I limited . Because it's a work phone.
Water candling can work. But I highly recommend practicing candling with an LED flashlight. When you candle towards the end of incubation you can check the membrane to see if there are still veins or fluid. Also draw down, when the membrane grows dramatically before internal pip will let you know if the egg is still on the right track. Usually with water candling the egg will float because of the air inside the air cell. If the egg moves obviously it's alive but that could have been seen through candling without having to put the egg in water. I've also had eggs that I could clearly see moving when I used my light but we're perfectly still in water.
I put new batteries in my flashlight so I could see into these green eggs, and all 13 have development @ day 3!! WooHoo!!
:thumbsup
Well this outta be interesting, looks like 2 more hens another barred rock and a buff orpington going broody, both have been on empty nests all day screaming and neck feathers making em look like raptors from Jurassic park lol. Have a new little incubator for 7 eggs, but didn't pay attention so gotta look up what F is as this one is in celsius lol
I'm having major broody issues!! I have one broody sitting for about 10 days in the nest box. Well for the last 24 hours two other girls have joined her in the same box and they screech at me every time I peek in! What's going on here??
This is a high quality Show girl- my dream chicken:
This pic almost temps me!!
Are all of them shipped? Shipped eggs have a high rate of dying in lockdown. If I were you I would candle them. If the one egg has been internally pipped over 24 hours you can start an assist by making a small safety hole. Keep an eye on each eggs progress. They may need help if they are going to survive. Shipped eggs also have a higher rate of needing assistance.
Well, my hatch isn't going as well as the last one. Long story shortened, on day 18, I had 4 lavender orpingtons and 6 golden sebrights. I knew 2 of the GS were questionable, but left them in. I could tell by day 20 they were goners. 1 lavender hatched without problem. Next lavender made a huge hole, but wouldn't spin. First sebright zipped 3/4 of the way and stalled. So I pulled each of those out and assisted, and they are fine. Finally another sebright started zipping and made it all the way around, but didn't push the cap off. Then I could tell it was stuck, so I had to help that one too. Then a 3rd lavender pipped.. on the wrong end... through a blood vessel! Andother sebright had internally pipped on day 20, but I couldn't see movement yesterday. Pulled it this morning and its DIS, as is another one, I think. When I left home this morning, 2 lavenders and 2 sebrights were out, with the wrong-end pipper still going. I think the rest are gone. :( I need to recheck my hygrometers. I think it was too dry, even though the readings were fine, and I was using the exact setup as I did last time, as far as sponges and channels. Membranes were really crispy. I swear, I still think it had to do with switching from heating to air conditioning in the house, mid-incubation. :/
Ugh. I hate tough hatches. They are stressful. :hugs I had the two batches of call eggs that over lapped. I'm doing the same exact same thing with the current batch that is still going but the air cells are looking small. It's been raining all week so maybe that's the reason. I took all the water out and I'm running dry. But my point is that yes, it definitely could be the change in ambient humidity. I'm dealing with the same thing.

For anyone using still air, I yanked the water pan out of my Hovabator and put a 7w reptile heating pad in the bottom of it. It's powered on 24/7 and I am finding this hatch my temperatures are rock steady. It doesn't take forever for the bator to come back up to temp after opening it either. Cold corners seem to have been eliminated as well. The ring style heat element does still come on, but not nearly as much.
I do have my eggs in a tray so they are probably nearly an inch from the reptile pad. I wouldn't go any higher wattage than 6 or 7 w. I'm only a week into this hatch but am having good development so far.

Ugh. I hate tough hatches. They are stressful.
hugs.gif
I had the two batches of call eggs that over lapped. I'm doing the same exact same thing with the current batch that is still going but the air cells are looking small. It's been raining all week so maybe that's the reason. I took all the water out and I'm running dry. But my point is that yes, it definitely could be the change in ambient humidity. I'm dealing with the same thing.

Thanks! I was so pleased with the last hatch, it never occurred to me how much different this could be. I now have 6 cochin eggs in the Brinsea, but have Serama eggs coming in the mail next week, so I'll use the FI to hatch the cochins, because they are my own eggs anyway, but I will definitely hatch the Seramas in the Brinsea. At least that will keep me from staggering another hatch! LOL

Hope these Calls do well for you! I'll be watching for updates.

Back
Top Bottom