Hands on hatching and help

Thanks. Yeah, even my gma was aggravating me when I was showing her around the house/animals. She kept saying "why are you even trying with that one?". I guess it's more of a old school philosophy that if an animal gets sick or injured you just put them down. I look at it like if an animal gets sick or injured you try to fix them first and if that doesn't work then put them down. Because in most cases there's probably about a 50% chance it will work. I guess the same goes to the people that won't help a chick out of an egg. But with that I would say there is a much greater chance of a successful hatchling then not.
This is how the addiction grows because now you can hatch more olive eggers to get girls! :p

I agree but with exceptions, lol... if it's something that could affect the rest when you have breeders, I will put down immediately... also leg issues... I learned that one the hard way... had a bird with a leg that didn't track straight, just went out to the side a bit... ran around just fine, never showed any discomfort or signs of issues... decided finally to put it down and process... went to skin it and due to the stress from the joint being just barely off it had hairline fractured the bone... gangrene had started internally and was spreading up the leg to the thigh... it was horrible and awful... considering how most of any types of birds spend most of their entire lives on their feet, I won't risk putting another through that again... remember, they are masters at hiding injury and pain...

But bottom line is, it was your bird and your choice... it shouldn't have been done without your consent or knowledge...

Thanks. Yeah, even my gma was aggravating me when I was showing her around the house/animals. She kept saying "why are you even trying with that one?". I guess it's more of a old school philosophy that if an animal gets sick or injured you just put them down. I look at it like if an animal gets sick or injured you try to fix them first and if that doesn't work then put them down. Because in most cases there's probably about a 50% chance it will work. I guess the same goes to the people that won't help a chick out of an egg. But with that I would say there is a much greater chance of a successful hatchling then not.
This is how the addiction grows because now you can hatch more olive eggers to get girls! :p

That's how my grandfather was also. He grew up on a huge dairy farm. Ever since they got these little shih tzu dogs he has become a real softy though lol.
Seriously the addiction is real lol.

Need more olive egger eggs?

I wish I could but I have to start moving some of these chickens before I can get more lol. We are at our max capacity. :)

That's how my grandfather was also. He grew up on a huge dairy farm. Ever since they got these little shih tzu dogs he has become a real softy though lol.
I wish I could but I have to start moving some of these chickens before I can get more lol. We are at our max capacity. :)

Understand that, lol! If you decide to get more, I have some nice BCM's in with my Am's... :)

Byc was being so weird last night. Didn't think my post ever went through but looks like it did. I never saw this before but this is what I kept getting. Usually it's just the "back end" page.

I agree but with exceptions, lol... if it's something that could affect the rest when you have breeders, I will put down immediately... also leg issues... I learned that one the hard way... had a bird with a leg that didn't track straight, just went out to the side a bit... ran around just fine, never showed any discomfort or signs of issues... decided finally to put it down and process... went to skin it and due to the stress from the joint being just barely off it had hairline fractured the bone... gangrene had started internally and was spreading up the leg to the thigh... it was horrible and awful... considering how most of any types of birds spend most of their entire lives on their feet, I won't risk putting another through that again... remember, they are masters at hiding injury and pain...

But bottom line is, it was your bird and your choice... it shouldn't have been done without your consent or knowledge...

That's terrible! Thankfully I only had one chick that hatched fine on its own but then I believe had a slipped tendon and was very lethargic. I tried all day to read and pop it back into place but to no avail, so he was culled the next morning. It's scary how they hide illness!!! By the time you can clearly tell they are sick they are usually on deaths door. Sorry about your bird, it's a learning experience. :hugs

I know max capacity!! :gig it's not a good feeling, lol. You'll feel better once you get them all arranged and eventually weed out boys and select your keepers.

Byc was being so weird last night. Didn't think my post ever went through but looks like it did. I never saw this before but this is what I kept getting. Usually it's just the "back end" page.

That's terrible! Thankfully I only had one chick that hatched fine on its own but then I believe had a slipped tendon and was very lethargic. I tried all day to read and pop it back into place but to no avail, so he was culled the next morning. It's scary how they hide illness!!! By the time you can clearly tell they are sick they are usually on deaths door. Sorry about your bird, it's a learning experience.
hugs.gif

I know max capacity!!
gig.gif
it's not a good feeling, lol. You'll feel better once you get them all arranged and eventually weed out boys and select your keepers.

I've gotten that message a lot lately Ruby. Usually if you just hit refresh, it will show you that it posted.

Max capacity? What's that??
big_smile.png
Oh I think I was there several months ago!
gig.gif

Understand that, lol! If you decide to get more, I have some nice BCM's in with my Am's... :)

I'll probably take you up on that eventually lol. Right now I've got expansion issues we are working on and being vegetarians makes it really hard to find homes for the roosters lol. I know I'm going to have to suck it up when I sell them but I have an overly tender heart lol..

That's terrible! Thankfully I only had one chick that hatched fine on its own but then I believe had a slipped tendon and was very lethargic. I tried all day to read and pop it back into place but to no avail, so he was culled the next morning. It's scary how they hide illness!!! By the time you can clearly tell they are sick they are usually on deaths door. Sorry about your bird, it's a learning experience. :hugs
I know max capacity!! :gig it's not a good feeling, lol. You'll feel better once you get them all arranged and eventually weed out boys and select your keepers.

Yes I'm really looking forward to taking a break lol. I've decided on quite a few keepers that's why we have had to expand our coop twice now and still not done lmfao... :p

I've gotten that message a lot lately Ruby.  Usually if you just hit refresh, it will show you that it posted. 

Max capacity?  What's that??  :D   Oh I think I was there several months ago!  :gig

X2 lol

Advice needed please. I have some BR's, some RIR's, and some RIW's that are on day 22 of hatch. I went into lockdown with 10 eggs and 5 have hatched (2 BR'S on day 20, 1 BR, 1 RIW, and 1 RIR on day 21, and now on day 22 I have one little egg that is left that is externally pipped,..the rest are DIS. Soooo,...the one that is left,....this baby externally pipped yesterday on day 20 around..ehhhh....maybe 5 pm or so. This is the thing though,...this baby looks like it is panting in its shell and it doesn't chirp,...at all. Even if you tap on the shell it just pants, it doesn't chirp. I can see that it is still breathing fine,...but why it is panting. My powers of deduction say it's too hot,...but should this be an issue during the hatching process? Is the panting a sign that the chick is too hot and is going to die and I need to start helping it a tad? Anyone had one do this before? Thanks.

Advice needed please. I have some BR's, some RIR's, and some RIW's that are on day 22 of hatch. I went into lockdown with 10 eggs and 5 have hatched (2 BR'S on day 20, 1 BR, 1 RIW, and 1 RIR on day 21, and now on day 22 I have one little egg that is left that is externally pipped,..the rest are DIS. Soooo,...the one that is left,....this baby externally pipped yesterday on day 20 around..ehhhh....maybe 5 pm or so. This is the thing though,...this baby looks like it is panting in its shell and it doesn't chirp,...at all. Even if you tap on the shell it just pants, it doesn't chirp. I can see that it is still breathing fine,...but why it is panting. My powers of deduction say it's too hot,...but should this be an issue during the hatching process? Is the panting a sign that the chick is too hot and is going to die and I need to start helping it a tad? Anyone had one do this before? Thanks.

The panting is normal. Hatching is hard work lol are you running a still air or a forced air incubator?

The panting is normal. Hatching is hard work lol are you running a still air or a forced air incubator?
Still air. All the other ones chirped at least here and there,...the very laborious and heavy panting mixed with no chirps had me a little concerned,..and seeing as this is the last to hatch I didn't know if something was going on with it.

Back
Top Bottom