Hands on hatching and help

Thank you guys. UPDATE: after 8 hours I took off a bit of the shell so it could breath. It was chirping lots. Now it's been 24 hours and its happily zipping. I'm not sure how as it it not in the air bubble but near the opposite pointy side??

Thank you guys. UPDATE: after 8 hours I took off a bit of the shell so it could breath. It was chirping lots. Now it's been 24 hours and its happily zipping. I'm not sure how as it it not in the air bubble but near the opposite pointy side??

They don't necessarily "need" the air cell. Once they get through the shell, they are breathing the outside air (well, incubator air...lol). The air cell gives them that extra room to expand, but its possible that he broke it internally and pressed into it anyway. You just can't see it yet. Or he doesn't need the extra space.

Hmmm...they are at that age where they both look pullet-ish, but they are going to go through a maturity spurt soon, where it will be very obvious. The boys will get full combs and streamers and the girls will fill in more in the crest. Honestly, I would say it's just a tad to soon. Start looking for the streamers to start filling in on the back of the necks. Silkies take a long time to sex with certainty and they all go through a pullet looking phase right before they really mature. Can you take a couple more pics of the side of the back of the neck and the very front where the combs are? Wow, that's crazy. I bet it would have died if you didn't go in and stimulate him/her. That would have scared me seeing the blood!! Maybe it pulled its beak back in trying to reposition?
So I know that 2 of my black ones are boys and I am pretty sure the other 2 are pullets. Then with my 4 paints I know that 2 are boys but unsure of the other 2 and then the 2 last whites I am not sure at all.
So, a couple weeks ago we had to have Buster (the dog we adopted from the pound a year ago) put down. Heath wise he was declining fast , especially walking because of his back hips and he wasn't eating right over the last month and when he did eat he'd have explosive diarreha all over. Then he stumbled on our stairs and fell down them dislocating his front shoulder (possibly with a break.) When we adopted him they said he was 8, the vet said, when we took him in, that he appeared to be "quite an old dog". The conclusion was either the mistreatment and possible neglect he had suffered through his life aged his body beyond it's years or he was quite a bit older than the pound had him listed for. So we made the decision to put him down. A few days later I had called my sister and was telling her about what had happened and she said, (after apologizing because it was still soon after putting him down-she's not cold hearted,) that my niece still had one of the "puppies" that her dog had back in March, that still needed a home. (There was something like 10 or 11 to begin with.) So the next day I talked to my niece and we discussed us taking the last pup that no one had wanted. They were black lab/St. Bernard mixes, and this one looked mostly black lab, and was a bit smaller than the others.So my nephew picked her up for me and brought her up when he came to get his chickens I was giving him last Monday. BEST DECISION EVER!!! She needs a little more weight on her than what she showed up here with, but we are fixing that. She is absolutely the best dog I've seen since my childhood (best friend) that we had for almost 14 years before we lost her too old age. For once, I think we made the right decision. She is everything that my son and I wanted in a dog. She'll be five months Friday, but she is training so well in most everything (except hogging the bed...lol) and her and my son are just awesome together. I don't regret adopting Buster and it helps to know that the last year of his life he learned not to fear and what love was, but I would never go through that pound again and especially not during an open house. Having to put him down sucked and was very emotional, but there is no doubt that it was the right decision just as taking Tali was the right decision. So I have to share a pic or two: She's pretty good with the chickens too!
Yay!!!! She is beautiful! I miss my black lab so much! She ate my chickens but she was so pretty! I am glad it's working out!

NOTHER UPDATE: 1 hour later could be happier watching this little one hatch and fall all over the incubator. Thanks to everyone who helped and wished him good luck it worked!!

As long as their position in the cell is condusive to letting them move to do the job, the air cell is irrevelant to being able to zip. Many malpositioned pippers can and will zip themselves and others will need help. Luckily yours was one that despite not pipping into the air cell was still in a position where it could turn to pip.

They don't necessarily "need" the air cell. Once they get through the shell, they are breathing the outside air (well, incubator air...lol). The air cell gives them that extra room to expand, but its possible that he broke it internally and pressed into it anyway. You just can't see it yet. Or he doesn't need the extra space.
xs 2

So I know that 2 of my black ones are boys and I am pretty sure the other 2 are pullets. Then with my 4 paints I know that 2 are boys but unsure of the other 2 and then the 2 last whites I am not sure at all.

Yay!!!! She is beautiful! I miss my black lab so much! She ate my chickens but she was so pretty! I am glad it's working out!
I know the feeling!! There's only about 6 or 7 that I am confident to call the sex, the rest I am still going back and forth on...lol I did hear a crow coming from their coop yesterday. I have a feeling it's the very obvious paint boy. Out of my 2 pure blacks I'm pretty sure I have one of each and the boy is a big heavy boy too.

ANOTHER UPDATE: 1 hour later could be happier watching this little one hatch and fall all over the incubator. Thanks to everyone who helped and wished him good luck it worked!!

Congrats! Any other pips?

boy
boy
boy
girl
girl
part of me wants to say boy, the other half wants to say girl....lol

Back
Top Bottom