Hands on hatching and help

I finally got a pen up in the silkie coop and one in the run to get these guys out of my house and used to the big uns. So during the day on good days for the next couple weeks they will be in the pen in the run and at night they will be moved to the coop. Of course I'll probably still worry all night for the first couple nights...lol

I ended up with the ugliest Silkies ordering from a hatchery. I should have made Ken wait and then gotten some more hatching eggs from one of you instead. Oh, well. They're still cute in their own way, but nowhere near the quality I got from @RubyNala97 last year, even if I did end up with all roos. Glad you got your pen up! Don't worry - mine start out in the run in a pen and do fine! Had full integration by 5 weeks. (I was running a little behind with that because of Ken's surgery and my sister being so sick)

I ended up with the ugliest Silkies ordering from a hatchery. I should have made Ken wait and then gotten some more hatching eggs from one of you instead. Oh, well. They're still cute in their own way, but nowhere near the quality I got from @RubyNala97 last year, even if I did end up with all roos. Glad you got your pen up! Don't worry - mine start out in the run in a pen and do fine! Had full integration by 5 weeks. (I was running a little behind with that because of Ken's surgery and my sister being so sick)

Funny story...I shared a meme on fb yesterday. Forrest Gump on the park bench. It said, "Life is like a box of hatchery chicks. You never know what you are going to get."
Well, one of the girls I went to school with had purchased 6 of my babies out of my last hatch. She just got into chickens maybe 3 months ago if that. I convinced her she needed silkies. She saw my share and laughed and told me she had gone to Agway earlier to get chick feed and they got more chicks in, so she had to look. The girl said, look at those beautiful silkies... to which she says they are no where near as nice as ours, and had to show her pictures of her new silkies...lol She said Amy, they were nothing like these that you breed. Lol

I was going to do that a million times, but if she's got something happening I'm not sure she'd appreciate it. So I just stuck her in my prayers and will wait until I hear something. Your Silkies are just gorgeous. I saw that meme too....made me bust out laughing!

Maybe a silly question but here goes.... this method can be used for any type of bird then? We are very new chicken peoples... have our first batch of cornishX and layer gals as of seven weeks ago. The cornish are realllly eatin a lot more now that it is almost camp time and this might be a great option for those as well? How old is it ok to feed this way?

Depends on how the air cells look.

Honestly, I'd lower the humidity and see if that helps.

24 hours after pip before I help and only assist as far as I can before running into veining. Vaseline lightly applied to exposed membrane or coconut oil will help keep membranes from drying out.

Usually, I can recover from detached air cells.--- I should say MOST of my eggs will recover and hatch. Add other issues and I may have a poor hatch .
About half of them are completely detached and the others are just loose at the end. I don't want to be candling them everyday and let bacteria get in but at the same time I don't want the embryos to grow to the side of the egg. Today is Day 2, I was thinking maybe candling on Day 3 or 4.

About half of them are completely detached and the others are just loose at the end. I don't want to be candling them everyday and let bacteria get in but at the same time I don't want the embryos to grow to the side of the egg. Today is Day 2, I was thinking maybe candling on Day 3 or 4.
I'd give them 4 days incubating w/o turneing then incubate them upright in cut down cartons tilting 3xs a day. My personal thought.

Back
Top Bottom