Hands on hatching and help

Wow, there are over 11,000 posts on this thread, I started at the beginning but I could not make myself read through them all in an attempt to find answers.... (nothing against the authors just to much info to process at once:caf)
Here is a bit about myself. I am new to incubating and hatching. Bought my first incubator (Hova Bator 1588) this year and am currently running my second batch of Guinea eggs.
My first batch didn't do so well out of 13 fertile only 3 hatched and 1 keet died 6 days after hatching (it wouldn't eat or drink and I tried to place water and vitamins on/in the beak but to ne avail)
Second batch is at day 20 (out of 28).
Here is my issue: My mom placed 8 eggs under a broody RIR and all was good, I candled partway through and disposed of any that were not viable and at the end I was left with 2 that appear viable. Now these remaining 2 should have hatched on Monday. But when I checked on her Saturday and Sunday she was just standing beside the eggs looking at them:he. I thought to myself these guys are probably dead, I was leary of placing in the bator because of bacteria, and staggered hatch and anything else that could possibly go wrong, like the eggs in the bator are still in the incubation period (dry at 30% moisture) these 2 should go into lockdown at 70% moisture, etc etc.
but Monday evening when I got home from work I just couldn't leave those cold little eggs any longer and figuring they are probably dead I scooped them up and took them to the house, opened the bator, moved the eggs in there over to make room and placed these 2 in there. I'm thinking "once they warm up I will candle and see if there is movement, or if they are dead". Well you guessed it, there was movement in both. so I left them in the bator but its Thursday now and they still haven't pipped, and they looked pretty full in the egg when I candled Monday night. On e almost looked like it may have pipped internally,.
Could the low moisture (about 34 - 35%) cause them to be unable to pip the shell??
Should I make a hole in the air cell end and check on them or will that just dry out the inside of the egg and shrink wrap them??
Should I just wait and see if maybe the development is behind due to the stupid broody and her abandonment?

Please, if someone could give me some advice I would appreciate it. Even some "what I would do" advice.
My opinion is, If they are destined to die anyway, I should try to save them by helping them, but then I think what if I open the shell and find out their not ready:barnie.

I know the whole "sometime assisting is necessary". We have goats and I have assisted in multiple births and saved the lives of many babies and momma's that would have died without assistance, so I am not against assisting with the hatch.
Just very unsure about the whole moisture deficiency during hatch.

Some opinions please

Wow, there are over 11,000 posts on this thread, I started at the beginning but I could not make myself read through them all in an attempt to find answers.... (nothing against the authors just to much info to process at once:caf)
Here is a bit about myself. I am new to incubating and hatching. Bought my first incubator (Hova Bator 1588) this year and am currently running my second batch of Guinea eggs.
My first batch didn't do so well out of 13 fertile only 3 hatched and 1 keet died 6 days after hatching (it wouldn't eat or drink and I tried to place water and vitamins on/in the beak but to ne avail)
Second batch is at day 20 (out of 28).
Here is my issue: My mom placed 8 eggs under a broody RIR and all was good, I candled partway through and disposed of any that were not viable and at the end I was left with 2 that appear viable. Now these remaining 2 should have hatched on Monday. But when I checked on her Saturday and Sunday she was just standing beside the eggs looking at them:he. I thought to myself these guys are probably dead, I was leary of placing in the bator because of bacteria, and staggered hatch and anything else that could possibly go wrong, like the eggs in the bator are still in the incubation period (dry at 30% moisture) these 2 should go into lockdown at 70% moisture, etc etc.
but Monday evening when I got home from work I just couldn't leave those cold little eggs any longer and figuring they are probably dead I scooped them up and took them to the house, opened the bator, moved the eggs in there over to make room and placed these 2 in there. I'm thinking "once they warm up I will candle and see if there is movement, or if they are dead". Well you guessed it, there was movement in both. so I left them in the bator but its Thursday now and they still haven't pipped, and they looked pretty full in the egg when I candled Monday night. On e almost looked like it may have pipped internally,.
Could the low moisture (about 34 - 35%) cause them to be unable to pip the shell??
Should I make a hole in the air cell end and check on them or will that just dry out the inside of the egg and shrink wrap them??
Should I just wait and see if maybe the development is behind due to the stupid broody and her abandonment?

Please, if someone could give me some advice I would appreciate it. Even some "what I would do" advice.
My opinion is, If they are destined to die anyway, I should try to save them by helping them, but then I think what if I open the shell and find out their not ready:barnie.

I know the whole "sometime assisting is necessary". We have goats and I have assisted in multiple births and saved the lives of many babies and momma's that would have died without assistance, so I am not against assisting with the hatch.
Just very unsure about the whole moisture deficiency during hatch.

Some opinions please

No worries, there's usually people around here to help... :)

If she wasn't sitting tight, might delay hatching since temps weren't kept up consistently... if one has internal pipped and not pipped by 24hrs after, safe holes are recommended...

Here, check this article out first, it's a great guide...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Btw, I do staggereds all the time, rarely have issues just from staggered...

Hello, please I need some advice. It is day 23, I have an egg under a hen. I thought all had hatched last one yesterday morning and mom was just being cautious, but earlier today (2:00) I noticed this egg had movement and a small hole in it. The hole now is about the size of a quarter the chick was peeping off and on and the mother was talking to it. Over the last three hours there doesn't seem to be much progress being made to create the zipper. I was able to see the what appears to be it's back exposed through the hole, I see no beak or face. Keep in mind I cannot see the whole egg as the mother does not want me near it. I am concerned. I have read not to assist but it appears that the membrane may be drying out it is white. This little bird is moving but not peeping as often as it was. Is there anything I can do? How long can they breath without the beak being exposed? Please if you have any advice it would be appreciated. I have to feed other animals now but I will check back for any responses. thank you.

Hello, please I need some advice. It is day 23, I have an egg under a hen. I thought all had hatched last one yesterday morning and mom was just being cautious, but earlier today (2:00) I noticed this egg had movement and a small hole in it. The hole now is about the size of a quarter the chick was peeping off and on and the mother was talking to it. Over the last three hours there doesn't seem to be much progress being made to create the zipper. I was able to see the what appears to be it's back exposed through the hole, I see no beak or face. Keep in mind I cannot see the whole egg as the mother does not want me near it. I am concerned. I have read not to assist but it appears that the membrane may be drying out it is white. This little bird is moving but not peeping as often as it was. Is there anything I can do? How long can they breath without the beak being exposed? Please if you have any advice it would be appreciated. I have to feed other animals now but I will check back for any responses. thank you.

White is not dry, that is healthy... but if beak is buried might cut off oxygen... need to get to it to check and pic would help...

No worries, there's usually people around here to help... :)

If she wasn't sitting tight, might delay hatching since temps weren't kept up consistently... if one has internal pipped and not pipped by 24hrs after, safe holes are recommended...

Here, check this article out first, it's a great guide...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Btw, I do staggereds all the time, rarely have issues just from staggered...

Thank you for your reply. I read the article you shared and it is very helpful. I think when I get home from work if there is still movement in the shells I will open the air cell end of the eggs and see if they need help. Maybe they are malpositioned in there. If they are not ready I will just replace in the bator and leave them awhile.

White is not dry, that is healthy... but if beak is buried might cut off oxygen... need to get to it to check and pic would help...
I cant get a pic because I have to use one hand to keep her from biting me. I looked and if you can imagine this, the egg is sort of splitting around the middle like when you break an egg to eat, the membrane is still white and the chick moved and peeped when I touched the egg to look. The split goes in the same direction as a zipper would except it is smoother than a zipper but does appear to be at the right end. There is no sign of beak (this is what is concerning me) only black down which is why I think it could be it's back but it could also be it's side, this is what I cannot tell or see. I only see the opening and some down. The opening is approx 1/4 of an inch wide and runs approx. 1/3 around the egg. The opening is on top of the egg looking down at it. There doesn't seem to be any opening on the opposite side. I do not see a beak although if the bird is on its side the beak could be just out of site. I want to mention that i saw the original pip and it looked normal but the progress since has been slow with not much progress made. The pip was at approx. 1:00 the break was seen at approx. 2:00. I feel better that it is still alive but I am stressing over touching it and worried if I didn't put it back in the right position I might cause some sort of disability in the chick. I don't like moving them unless absolutely necessary for fear of hurting it further. I actually saw the hen roll the egg to the front of her? Freaked me out. She also came off the egg earlier to show the others how to eat, but went right back to sitting. That is how I noticed this egg had begun to pip. Does all this make sense and sound like a normal hatch?

Last edited:
I cant get a pic because I have to use one hand to keep her from biting me. I looked and if you can imagine this, the egg is sort of splitting around the middle like when you break an egg to eat, the membrane is still white and the chick moved and peeped when I touched the egg to look. The split goes in the same direction as a zipper would except it is smoother than a zipper but does appear to be at the right end. There is no sign of beak (this is what is concerning me) only black down which is why I think it could be it's back but it could also be it's side, this is what I cannot tell or see. I only see the opening and some down. The opening is approx 1/4 of an inch wide and runs approx. 1/3 around the egg. The opening is on top of the egg looking down at it. There doesn't seem to be any opening on the opposite side. I do not see a beak although if the bird is on its side the beak could be just out of site. I want to mention that i saw the original pip and it looked normal but the progress since has been slow with not much progress made. The pip was at approx. 1:00 the break was seen at approx. 2:00. I feel better that it is still alive but I am stressing over touching it and worried if I didn't put it back in the right position I might cause some sort of disability in the chick. I don't like moving them unless absolutely necessary for fear of hurting it further. I actually saw the hen roll the egg to the front of her? Freaked me out. She also came off the egg earlier to show the others how to eat, but went right back to sitting. That is how I noticed this egg had begun to pip. Does all this make sense and sound like a normal hatch?

Sounds like it might be stuck, actually... and pushing to get out since it can't zip... just my thoughts on it... might wait a bit and see what others might think, but I would be tempted to pop that top off for the chick...

Sounds like it might be stuck, actually... and pushing to get out since it can't zip... just my thoughts on it... might wait a bit and see what others might think, but I would be tempted to pop that top off for the chick...
Will it hurt it, if I handle it to pick the shell around the rest of the middle? it isn't exactly at the top more towards the middle like when you crack an egg in half. I have seen the others and the opening was more towards the top than this one is. The opening is more than half way but not quite as high as the others does this sound normal?

Back
Top Bottom