Hands on hatching and help

I'm, I am so stressed out. OK I took more of the shell. I don't see any yoke but the white isike paper so I lifted it off it head it was peeping very loudly and mom was not happy most of it is out I did not pull the bottom off for fear it would hurt it. I would say it's 3/4 of the way born it just needs to shake off the bottom but all legs l, feet, wings and head are viable and it appears healthy. It's feathers are a bit dried there was not much monster if any. I put it back with mom. Do you think I need to do anything else. Will it be OK from me touching it? I know they say don't touch them when they are first born and wet but honestly there is really no moisture.

I handle my broodys new hatched all the time with no issues... sounds like it is fine... good job...

I handle my broodys new hatched all the time with no issues... sounds like it is fine... good job...
Thank you so much. I just checked again, when i Iifted the hen 's chest the chick crawled way back up under her without its shell. I looked at the shell and it was pretty dry very little moisture. I am happy I did it. Now I can sleep. Thank you again.

No worries, there's usually people around here to help... :)

If she wasn't sitting tight, might delay hatching since temps weren't kept up consistently... if one has internal pipped and not pipped by 24hrs after, safe holes are recommended...

Here, check this article out first, it's a great guide...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Btw, I do staggereds all the time, rarely have issues just from staggered...
So I followed the instructions on the article and opened the air cell. Underneath the membrane was white and dry looking so I took the shell back, thinking it was shrink wrapped and I coated it with coconut oil and once it lubricated this is what it looks like (pic attached) it is full of fluid but the keet is moving. There are still red blood veins. This is from under a broody.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 10
Thank you so much. I just checked again, when i Iifted the hen 's chest the chick crawled way back up under her without its shell. I looked at the shell and it was pretty dry very little moisture. I am happy I did it. Now I can sleep. Thank you again.

:clap great job!

So I followed the instructions on the article and opened the air cell. Underneath the membrane was white and dry looking so I took the shell back, thinking it was shrink wrapped and I coated it with coconut oil and once it lubricated this is what it looks like (pic attached) it is full of fluid but the keet is moving. There are still red blood veins. This is from under a broody.

Glad you came over. :)

yep, that one isn't quite ready yet. Still heavy blood vessels, but looks like you did fine. But now that you have gone this far, you will have to continue, once the blood vessels clear up.

I don't see a hole in the membrane. Is there one? If not, i would try to make a tiny little slit, right at the point of its beak. just avoid the blood vessels.

:clap great job!

Glad you came over. :)

yep, that one isn't quite ready yet. Still heavy blood vessels, but looks like you did fine. But now that you have gone this far, you will have to continue, once the blood vessels clear up.

I don't see a hole in the membrane. Is there one? If not, i would try to make a tiny little slit, right at the point of its beak. just avoid the blood vessels.

There is a lot of fluid around the baby, is that normal or is it under developed? No hole in the membrane, don't see the beak?

There is a lot of fluid around the baby, is that normal or is it under developed? No hole in the membrane, don't see the beak?

Looks like you went in a little early, but don't panic, all is not lost! Does look a little extra moist, but not too bad.
The beak is facing the right side of your pic, close to the edge of where you chipped the shell away, about clock position 2 o'clock. Midway between the tip of your finger and thumb. If you touch with the flat tip of your finger, it will feel hard. The rest will be soft.

Looks like you went in a little early, but don't panic, all is not lost! Does look a little extra moist, but not too bad.
The beak is facing the right side of your pic, close to the edge of where you chipped the shell away, about clock position 2 o'clock. Midway between the tip of your finger and thumb. If you touch with the flat tip of your finger, it will feel hard. The rest will be soft.

I am so scared of hurting it. should I wait for the blood to absorb more before opening the membrane? or does the keet need to start breathing?

Question: because I have a second one that is the same age, from the same stupid broody. Is it normal for the membrane to look and feel like tissue paper when you open the egg or does that mean that the chick is being shrink wrapped? I have not opened the second one. but I am assuming it is in the same shape as this one.

Okay, so I made a tiny hole in the membrane, got one of the tiny veins but not much blood. now what? do I wait for the blood to be absorbed? will this take like 4 hours or all night? I don't know if I should wait up, will it need more assistance or do I just leave it overnight and see what it looks like in the morning?

Okay, so I made a tiny hole in the membrane, got one of the tiny veins but not much blood. now what? do I wait for the blood to be absorbed? will this take like 4 hours or all night? I don't know if I should wait up, will it need more assistance or do I just leave it overnight and see what it looks like in the morning?
I'm actually dealing with a similar situation myself, but chicken egg. Once I moistened and pricked the membrane I covered just the opening with a damp paper towel and set back in incubator. It's a good idea to check on it every few hours to see how the veins are looking, once they go either very light pink or clear, it's safe to continue the assist. At this point it has fresh air and this will trigger the blood and yolk absorption. I know for chickens this takes 12-24hrs. If you haven't done the same with the other egg, I would leave it for now and give it another day since the one you have begun to assist is a little pre-mature. Pretty much continue to monitor both and trust your instincts is the best advice I can give right now.

Okay guys, have a situation where I've been in the process of an assist for over 12hrs, the chicks failed attempt to hatch began over 48hrs ago. I don't have any of the electrolyte stuff for chicks and don't think anywhere near me even carries it. Is there anything I can make at home to give to it to perk it up once the hatch is complete? It's obviously exhausted and I'm worried the stress of this hatch might take it out if I'm not able to get it some energy soon...

Back
Top Bottom