Hanging Cabbage?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mylilchix, Mar 1, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this is probably a dump question, BUT how do you hang a cabbage for chickens? I want to hang one off of the roof of our coop, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for you help,
    Sonja

2. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

You have to build a gallows and either put a trap door in it or push the cabbage off of it [​IMG]

Just kidding maybe someone else will answer

1 person likes this.
  3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I was thinking, but I want to make sure the girls won't knock it to the ground after the first day.

Sonja

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    lettuce works better, I hand greens ( carrot, beet, spinish), your eggs can have an off flaver with cabbage

6. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I just tied a piece of string to a large screw and just screwed it into the stem end of the head of cabbage. Worked fine for me.

7. MassBackyarder

MassBackyarder Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    North Shore MA
    Ditto. Got a 1/4 "J" screw and screwed it into the core (bottom) of the cabbage and ran twine up to another "J" screw in the ceiling of the coop.

No bad egg smells for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    my neighbor has a field of cabbage and I traded him a couple palms for grazing rights, I get 2 heads a day, never have hung it though, I just chop it coarse and toss it in the run, the gobble it up like crazy!! they have not started laying yet, need another 2 weeeks or so till I anticipate eggs, 1 dominque rooster and 14 sussex hens, will polish 2 large heads of cabbage off in a day.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I feed cabbage all the time and to hang it I push a stiff wire all the way through the core and then make a small bend in the end of it. I then hang it inside the coop about 12" off the floor. 19 hens can eat a large head in about 3 hours. They sure like it. Gives then a good source of green roughage in winter.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I take a screwdriver and put a hole through the core and the put a string through the head and hang it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by