Hanging feeders

By doing that do they not still swing?

my chickens do not have any problem eating/drinking from the feeder/waterer

the weight of the feeder/waterer with feed/water + gravity will restrict the swinging motion... just don't leave it almost empty though -since that's when it will swing a lot as the chickens trying to get the feed/water that is way at the bottom of the feeder/water

also if you are going to hang .. be sure to check the total weight of both the waterer and feeder when full before hanging them from a specific stud..

weight limit is important.. since with feed and water if you have a large flock and hanging 30-50+lbs.. be sure that the stud can support such weight

mass+gravity+time.. will cause problem to the structure overtime

Last edited:
It's fine for the strain. It's a pretty solid converted stable but I would guess that the roof struts are at least 10ft high so was worried more chain = more swing. I'll give it a go with 1 and see how it goes. Thanks for the info

It's fine for the strain. It's a pretty solid converted stable but I would guess that the roof struts are at least 10ft high so was worried more chain = more swing. I'll give it a go with 1 and see how it goes. Thanks for the info

10 ft high? ..

you can use multiple chains --- just put additional anchors a certain distance away

not the best drawing but...

for your case-- maybe 2-3 chains might be best

Last edited:
I think it will be fine, but if it does swing too much take a piece of rod and wire it to the joist mounted hook and down the chain for a few feet to take some of the swing out of it. It is just a chicken feeder it is OK if it swings some.

Back
Top Bottom