Hanging pen netting is no fun when your short......

Came home to find my female ringed teal sitting On Top of the pen with some guineas....Grrrr. Luckily she flew down and nabbed her with a net. Guess she's small enough to slip through the flight netting. I clipped a wing until I can order some smaller netting for the top.

Glad you caught her.
big_smile.png
I lost one hen when a friend gave me one. But it was right when I added her. Im sure alot of my small ducks could shoot out if they wanted. Once they get used to a pen I never worry about it. I gotta add my baikals to the new addition.Hopefully they will not get out

Last edited:
We had a little Bufflehead hen who get out every evening just before dark and swim and feed on our pond which is about an acre she was setting on eggs and did this for about two weeks once she hatched she quit and never did it again we still have her she has nested since but stays in her pen. All our nets are 2" and I think the Greenwings, Ring Teal and Bufflehead could all slip through if they really wanted to.

Lol...yeah...she was trying her dangdest to get back in.....but forgot how she got out... She seemed very happy to be back in. She loves to climb on things, so I need to lower one or two items in there, then she should stay put..lol

I took 4ft chicken wire and sewed them together with the little light wire thats included.That way I could bury 2ft underground. It worked perfect on all my pens. I just added the four feet stuff at the bottom of my new chain link addition. Once i add all the birds except the pheasants into the one big pen it will be alot easier on me I hope.Then my plan is I can use the smaller pens for new birds or baby rearing pens.Sometimes I just like being able to take out a hen with their babies on the final clutch and just putting them altogether in their own pen for a little while till the babies are doing okay. That way I dont have to mess with brooder detail.

I have a 200ft. X 250ft. yard that is netted to keep my ducks, chickens, small dogs and cats safe from the Eagles and the Owls. I had someone hand all of that netting but I, at 5'5", am the only one to the repairs. It sucks but I love my netted yard.

Back
Top Bottom