Happy birds!

bills

Songster
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
vancouver island
My pullets arrived Saturday morning, and I kept them in the hen house to get aquainted with it. Today (Monday) I opened the chicken door for a few hours, but none of the birds ventured into the run. Kind of suprised me, I thought they would have loved to get out..?

They must like the house though as I have already gotten two nice eggs.
smile.png
One was laid on Saturday just a few hours after moving them in! The breeder told me they probably wouldn't lay for another couple of weeks.. I must have one bird that is a few weeks older than the others. I was told they were about 18 weeks.

I am glad to see they settled down so well already. Be nice to see them out in the run, perhaps I'll try again tommorrow.

If they where raised in a coop getting them to go outside on their own could take a little work and BAIT! Like their favorite treats just outside the door where they can see them.

Sounds like your birds are having a good time! Great job!

My chickens also won't go outside for 2 days, but then I threw(!) one of them in the run. She stayed there, then probably told the others, "Hey, this spot is great! Come on in!"

Good luck with the eggs!

Chickens do seem to live by the "Chicken see, chicken do" mentality don't they. Chances are if I nudge one out into the run the others will follow. I'll try that.

It was funny, when I first brought them home on Saturday, and opened the cage they were in to let them in the hen house, none would leave the cage. Now you think they would have been quite happy to get out of the crowded situation and into a nice warm coop. Finally just as my arms were tiring from holding the cage, one hopped out. Three more followed, but two refused to leave the cage. I finally had to reach in and pick them up to get them in the coop. I must have a couple of free thinkers in the bunch.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom