Happy Flock - and removing the rooster. Will it affect the morale?

LOL sorry I assumed your daughter was a child, so didn't mean to talk down to her. :) Still must be traumatizing to crack and egg and have something more than white and yolk pop out!

No worries. It was actually pretty funny the way she described it - she says "If this happens, you'll NEVER want to eat another egg - EVER!"; she has since got over it, but it was the reason for the initial request... She (and the kids) are totally psyched that the chicks are now producing.

My grandson (the one in the profile photo) is her youngest. They all love the idea of going to visit snowball and the others. hours of fun.

Interesting, got 12 chicks, 15 weeks old now, seems half are roosters, Salmon Faverelles if it makes any diff, took out the alpha male and number 2, other roosters are working out who's boss, this morning feed put out in the compound 7am and none came out of the roost, at 11.30 had to remove one rooster to outside and the rest followed, also roosters seem to be ganging up on the hens, claiming all the food.

Whenever I've removed a rooster from hens they never missed a beat. If anything they seem calmer and more content without him. I've also never noticed any pecking order issues after either adding or taking away a rooster. I'm not so sure a rooster is necessarily "the boss" the way people often make them out to be. Provider and protector, for sure, but always calling all the shots and keeping everyone in line... that's not something I've ever observed.
My hens seem so much happier without my rooster. I just had to rehome him this past week. He started getting pretty aggressive with ppl and overmating with the hens. . It all depends on the particular rooster in my experience. Some are nice but most will do anything to defend their flock of hens. I've noticed roosters to start showing aggression around 20 to 30 weeks, trying to challenge you at some point. If your unaware how to deal with them, it can escalate into a really aggressive roo like my guy woody did. He was the sweetest boy, ate out of your hand, liked to sit down and be petted etc.. up until about a yr - yr and a half old.... then, it was like a switch, because I didn't know how to deal with his aggression it got worse. It was my first time with chickens, so I really didn't have much knowledge back than. Lesson learned, to nip that dominance in the behind as soon as it starts. Not being aggressive towards him, just picking him up and feeding him from your hand etc.. showing him your no harm to him or his flock.. well, my rooster woody didn't respond to any tricks of the trade and it actually made him a lot more aggressive towards ppl trying to dominate him like I did. Now he seen me as a threat. Everyone has a different experience and you have to do what's right for your family and flock. I had to get rid of him because I just couldn't risk my 3 dogs and husband getting hurt. My flock is so much happier now with him gone, I have to say. He wasn't being very nice and started plucking feathers out pretty badly from over mating.. Good luck! Everyone's experience is different and every rooster is different and unpredictable (in my opinion). I wish I would have rehomed him sooner, but I felt like a bad chicken owner having to give him up because I couldn't control him or his attitude. The best of luck to you. Hope you make the best decision. Go with your gut. If the rooster is more of a hassle and doesn't bring peace to a flock, then he's probably just not the right one 😊 Try not to feel bad rehoming him. A lot of ppl would be happy to rescue a rooster. I've heard roosters really don't mind where they live as long as they have quite a bit of room to graze and be free lol.

Back
Top Bottom