Happy Ostara !!!!!! Pg17 Formerly Blessed Solstice and Merry Yule

Deb actually, it is a variation on the origins of the egg at the planting time theme that is original to the celebration of Ostara. Traditions like this get handed down and changed so much that I think it is impossible to determine what group originated it or what it looked like in the beginning. I read one very old version of a spring celebration that had the children combing the garden looking for the fertile chicken's eggs to start the hatch. Once you read what these women had to do to artificially hatch a batch of eggs you'll never complain about your incubator again!! LOL!! But, it is suspected that this is where the easter egg hunt comes from. It was simply that this was a good time of year to start a fertile egg batch hatching. The giving of the egg to the earth to start seeds is also an old tradition, I do not know where it originates from, but I found reference to it in several Irish lore books as well as some very old farmer's almanacs! It was a way to get very early germination from plants that were planted in the ground outside when it was a little too cold for them. I don't know why. Perhaps the egg didn't freeze? I don't know.

I made up the words to the chant and the process based on the three aspects of the goddess. Lucky for me I have three females in the house!

Back
Top Bottom