Happy to announce my blue Cuckoo blue-eggers!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Hi! Yes, I had a couple of blue/black barred cockerels from that accidental cross that had some 'off-colored' red/gold feathers ---
    Is that what you mean?
    If you mean just wild unexpected colors from the blue/black/splash Ameraucana hens with black Jack Am' roo --- there are those too.
    I'll get pics tomorrow, but in addition to blues and blacks, I've hatched some funky-colored Am' youngsters from my blues and blacks.

I have a new blue Ameraucana roo in that yard and have pulled out all the girls that molted and showed any hint of brown after (big frown) --- clean blue hens showed up with brown feathers after they molted , just one or two feathers, but that's got to be what is allowing the 'flocked-up' colors to surface.
    I'm sorry Dustin. Wrong-looking-chickens just look like 'wrong-chickens'. I had to take the fence-jumping BR roo completely OUT of the picture
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yep, some of those brown/green/funky feathers showing up amongst the barring. [​IMG] The BR/AM from Speckledhen that I hatched has them, plus a single comb. He does have muffs and a beard though. [​IMG]

Speaking of your AM, I bought the wild colored chicks that Grace hatched from your blue/black/splash flock. They were all cockerels! lol, but one is really interesting looking with mostly blue feathering and some gold lacing in his hackles, saddles, and red/brown wing bar. I'm gonna keep him, he's just too cool looking.

3. Hi! Steph, you're right, they are about a month old now.
    Here are a blue Cuckoo and a black:

[​IMG]

They are feathering out pretty much like I expected.

This splash Cuckoo is about a week older:

[​IMG]

Except for just a few feathers, you couldn't tell he is Cuckoo. He mostly looks like a regular splash.

[​IMG]

I can hardly wait for him to grow up! He and my black Ameraucana girls will make lots and lots of blue Cuckoo babies!!

Speaking of your AM, I bought the wild colored chicks that Grace hatched from your blue/black/splash flock. They were all cockerels! lol, but one is really interesting looking with mostly blue feathering and some gold lacing in his hackles, saddles, and red/brown wing bar. I'm gonna keep him, he's just too cool looking.

I noticed that here too.
    He sounds pretty, I'd love to see him.

[​IMG]
    Lisa​

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'll sign up for some hatching eggs when you've got a dozen or so available! [​IMG] (Looks like I will be enlarging my coop next summer [​IMG] )

5. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have two barred rock hens in my main pen with my Americauna rooster and every time they throw cuckoo EE's. I have a pair that look just like the pic of the two barred chicks. Not sure if they are going to have muffs though at this point they are not poofy cheeked like my pure americauna chicks and some of my crosses, but they have the correct leg color to lay blue or green eggs.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  6. herechickchick

herechickchick Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I want hatching eggs!!!! Please. [​IMG]

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I especially like that splash chick! You still have me down for eggs from these guys right??? [​IMG]

8. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Songster

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Lisa, you have some amazing birds. Always thrilled to see what you come up with.

9. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Hey Cass...I'm in west Michigan too.
    About 25 miles north of Grand Rapids.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but your F1 Barred Rock X Blue Egger cross...
    most likely you will get olive green eggs.
    Once you breed a brown egg laying breed into a blue egger it is very hard to breed out the brown egg gene which makes your eggs olive or army green.
    I've had black and blue Ameraucanas for several years now (they have brown egg genes way back) from the top Ameraucana breeders and even after many genertations they typically lay a pale green egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: