Happy to Join

bluemountaingal

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Hi. I'm Leigh Ann, and I am so glad to find this community. I have 2 Pekin drakes that are 6 months old and I'm expecting an order of 6 chicks in mid-April. I'm married to a wonderful man and have three children ages 7, 6, and almost 4. I've been reading lots of info on this site as well as other places and I can't wait to be a chicken mama! Looking forward to getting to know you!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. Hope to see you in the duck section
frow.gif
. Are you planning on mixing the drakes and chicks when they are older?

Thanks! I don't know about mixing. I suppose we'll see how it goes. My dominant drake can get a little feisty sometimes with his brother so it will depend on his behavior. Long term I hope to get some girls for them, but right now it's just the two of them. We will be moving mid-summer to a farm so separation shouldn't be an issue.

I personally wouldn't risk it. Any breeding at all to your hens could cause some serious damage to them or even death. Many people have kept a same sex pair of ducks myself included. I kept a pair of drakes for almost 3 years before I added any females. Once I added females it did seem to change their personality towards each other though.

Changed their personality in a good way or bad way? Right now Percy (dominant drake) pretty much treats Piper like he's a hen. Piper doesn't seem to mind too much though he's always been the underdog. They get along for the most part though.

It was in a negative way. They became very territorial towards each other when females were introduced.

Welcome to BYC. Good luck with your chicks, and heed the advice about not mixing drakes and chicken hens.

Back
Top Bottom