HARD Baseball Size Crop

girlsrock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
Today I was in the yard all day with the girls roaming nearby, I noticed one staying by herself for the entire day.
NEVER a good sign! When I got a hold of her I noticed her crop was HUGE and HARD. I would love advice since I have never seen this and have no idea how to handle it, Please advise, ASAP Thank You!

Today I was in the yard all day with the girls roaming nearby, I noticed one staying by herself for the entire day.
NEVER a good sign! When I got a hold of her I noticed her crop was HUGE and HARD. I would love advice since I have never seen this and have no idea how to handle it, Please advise, ASAP Thank You!
See how it is in the morning. If its still large and hard, then she has impacted crop, which is when grass, grain, and other hard objects get stuck in the crop. to treat, I would try giving her some olive oil and/or water and massaging her crop. Withhold feed from her for 24 hours, too, and see if the mass goes down. If the oil/massaging doesn't work, you may have to attempt crop surgery in order to save her life.

I read somewhere, but I don't know if it's true or not, that the active ingredient in the crop bound capsules is Docusate Sodium, which is the active ingredient in Colace. You can get generic Colace from Walmart for $4 (140 100mg capsules). Don't quote me on this, call Twin City and ask them what the ingredient is.

-Kathy

I read somewhere, but I don't know if it's true or not, that the active ingredient in the crop bound capsules is Docusate Sodium, which is the active ingredient in Colace. You can get generic Colace from Walmart for $4 (140 100mg capsules). Don't quote me on this, call Twin City and ask them what the ingredient is.

-Kathy
My vet said that YES!!! This is true!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom