Hard Boiled Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by iwanteggs, Sep 11, 2007.

1. iwanteggs

iwanteggs Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Our hens have been laying for about 5 weeks now. The eggs are still pretty small. Average size about 43 grams. Our largest egg to date is 73 grams.
    Our Concern: When we hard boil our eggs we cannot peel them. The membrane under the shell will not release easily from the white of the egg. So we end up tearing the eggs up when we peel them. We have tried peeling them hot and cold. Any solutions please.

2. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Fresh eggs won't peel easily. You need to let them age a few days....

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The reason you have a hard time peeling them is because they are too fresh. Try waiting a week or two before you boil them. Personally, I like to steam them. They peel very easily, even when fresh. If you do a search for boiled or cooked eggs on this site you'll get a number of different ideas/methods for getting egg that are easily peeled. Enjoy!!!

4. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    I've heard that aging them for a week or so allows them to peel much better. We had that same problem and will boil our first "aged" batch this evening. One of the girls lays eggs that have been averaging 82 grams. I call them "ouch" eggs because it just looks so huge compared to the normal eggs. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. iwanteggs

iwanteggs Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks nccatnip and everyone else. I love this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by