Hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by RBOutdoors, Nov 22, 2012.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    So this is the first year we are only using our eggs for Turkey day and we are having a hard time peeling them. Have you guys noticed that they want to stick to the egg more?

Any ways Happy Turkey Day!!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Use your oldest eggs. Put them in cold water with 1 inch of water cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 13-15 minutes. Drain, cover with cold water and cool down as quickly as possible. Adding a tablespooon of salt to the water helps too.
    Using this, I have even done fresh eggs with minimal problem. Helps to crack the shells as you are cooling them with water. Bounce them in the pan.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I do it much the same with very fresh eggs and have no problem. I add more salt than that, though. After cooking, I drain and quickly dump them in ice water. I've read vinegar works just as well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Leave the fresh eggs out on the counter for a week or so at room temperature make sure they aren't cracked and they will keep a few weeks like this. This time out they will evaporate some and this makes it easier for them to be peeled. The reason the store bought eggs work so well as they are usually months old and have evaporated in the cooler during this time. [​IMG]

Jeff

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I believe it's the temp change between the hot egg and the ice water that makes the difference.

i can go out to the coop.. collect eggs and bring them in and cook (boil water.. add washed eggs.. cook .. drain and plunge eggs into cold water) .. always have perfect hard boiled eggs.

Here's an old thread that discusses the perfect hard boiled egg.. lol
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/115799/crazy-easy-way-to-make-hard-boiled-eggs

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yep, older eggs are way easier. I volunteered to bring deviled eggs to the party at work, and bought them instead of using mine. Shocking them with cold after boiling helps.

You can pre boil them the day before, and put them in the fridge in a large bowl. When you're ready to make them, put that bowl under hot water for 5 minutes, and it makes them easy to peel again. They don't peel right fresh out of the fridge either.

7. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Fresg eggs are definately the hardest of all to peel, no mistake there. I add 1 tsp of viniger to the eggs, and after time is up, they air dry, not sit in cool or hot water either one. They lose moisture inside quickly, and thats better for peeling.

In the future, set eggs out a week or two before, and save them in the fridge for this purpose only, if you have advance warning.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have tried every way I have found over the years to cook fresh eggs. Though some help a little, none have made the eggs what I would call easy to peal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by