Hard boiled.

Be-lee518

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
CA
So it comes to the day before Easter, and my sister finally decides to tell me she has no idea how to hard boil eggs. I have no idea eithier. So if someone can tell me before 6:00 today, that would be auwfully nice. I really wanna die eggs..... But I need to know how to hard boil them!!

hard boiling an egg is very easy, in a shallow pot bring water to a boil and then simply place eggs in the pot for 5 minutes

have fun decorating eggs!
thumbsup.gif

Put the eggs in water and put on the stove. Let it come to a boil then turn off the heat. Set a timer for 18 minutes. I've tried 15 minutes and if a large batch will have a bit gooey yolk so I use 18 min anymore as I always boil around two dozen or more.

Immediately dump out the hot water and run cold tap on them. When pot fills dump water and let the cold tap fill it again. This shocks the membrane to pull away from shell and makes for easier peeling. The key is to get them cold as quick as you can for that to happen so even dump the water again and refill with cold. I've done that three times and even tossed in ice cubes if laid in past few days.

OK I know I can't be alone in this. We have nothing but trouble with our girls eggs! We age them for a week or more in the fridge but the membrane sticks after we boil them and cool them. We have tried a quick cool and peeling them and we tried letting them sit and doing it later. I add salt to the water and baking soda some times. To peel them I start on the air sack top and try to get the membrane, this works some times but at the end after getting the membrane it sticks and the egg looks like junk If we get store eggs we have no problem. Are brown eggs known to be hard to peel. This has me going to Church tomorrow with the sin of bad words coming out of me.

I used to start a thread every spring on this but got tired of people unwilling to try my method criticizing it and telling their methods such as baking, pressure cooker, just buying a gadget to bake or microwave them in the shape of a boiled egg. I tried multiple suggestions on here, vinegar, salt, aging the eggs with variable results. Finally I tried the method I found on here that was totally against every cookbook I have ever seen.
For me the age of the egg makes no difference. I have used 3 week old eggs from counter, 1month + from fridge (set on the counter awhile to warm up) and eggs fresh from the nest. It works at least 90% of the time for me.

Bring a pan of water to a boil. You need enough water so the eggs will be covered. When it is reaches a rolling boil carefully add eggs (I use a spoon to lower them). Cover, Return to a boil if needed. Then turn off heat but leave on the burner for 11 to 15 minutes for hard boiled eggs. Dump water, flush with cold water, add some ice, crack slightly and let set in cold water until cool enough to peel. It works best if you start at the large end to peel them and if you peel them right away. I have less success with perfect eggs when I refrigerate to peel later.,

I hope this works for you.

I used to start a thread every spring on this but got tired of people unwilling to try my method criticizing it and telling their methods such as baking, pressure cooker, just buying a gadget to bake or microwave them in the shape of a boiled egg. I tried multiple suggestions on here, vinegar, salt, aging the eggs with variable results. Finally I tried the method I found on here that was totally against every cookbook I have ever seen.
For me the age of the egg makes no difference. I have used 3 week old eggs from counter, 1month + from fridge (set on the counter awhile to warm up) and eggs fresh from the nest. It works at least 90% of the time for me.

Bring a pan of water to a boil. You need enough water so the eggs will be covered. When it is reaches a rolling boil carefully add eggs (I use a spoon to lower them). Cover, Return to a boil if needed. Then turn off heat but leave on the burner for 11 to 15 minutes for hard boiled eggs. Dump water, flush with cold water, add some ice, crack slightly and let set in cold water until cool enough to peel. It works best if you start at the large end to peel them and if you peel them right away. I have less success with perfect eggs when I refrigerate to peel later.,

I hope this works for you.

It did work out well thanks. Hard boiled eggs are no longer stress time
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom