Hard boiling eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jayburd, Jan 15, 2010.

1. jayburd

jayburd Out Of The Brooder

What are tricks to getting eggs fully boilled. I'm getting sick of hearing my wife wiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee about it.[​IMG] [​IMG] She boils the crap out of them and they still are not done all the way. Does oyster shell change anything.

2. JavaMom

JavaMom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    I've only been getting eggs for a week, so I am certainly no expert.....but....it is my understanding that an egg should be about a week old before hard-boiling it. Don't know if that will solve the problem, but a tid-bit of info nonetheless!
    Respectfully,
    Another occasionally wining wife in Kentucky [​IMG]

3. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Put eggs in saucepan with cold water to cover (about 1" over top of eggs). Put pan on stove; heat over med.-high to high until water boils. Immediately turn off heat and put lid on pan. Let sit for 20 minutes; they'll be done. NOTE- don't use VERY fresh eggs for boiling unless you're planning to chop them anyway- they will not peel out very attractively. 2 week old eggs peel just fine.

4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I have had success with very cold water in the pan, put the eggs in cold and they will warm with the water. Once it boils, turn to a simmer for 10 -15 minutes. Drain hot water, add cold, drain, add cold... and so forth. Then drain water, place lid on pan, rattle them around and crack their shells, add cold water and let them sit for 10 min. They will peel like a dream. Out of 30 FRESH eggs, only lost 1.

D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    well I put my eggs fully covered in a pot of cold water, turn the heat on high with the lid on... when it starts to boil hard, really hard as in steam pouring out the lid and "fluttering" with condensation... I turn off the heat and remove it from the heat. By the time the lid "unseals" (starts to cool down) you have perfect hard boilded egg with no grey around the yolk.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    This subject comes up at least a dozen times a year here on BYC.
    Try doing some BYC searches using key words.

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:This is how my grandmother taught me too. If you want them "hard" hard boiled eggs, then when the water boils keep the heat on for 2-4 minutes, then turn it off. You may notice that the edge of the yokes will turn a little greenish.

8. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have had success of hard boiling fresh eggs and the shells peel right off. I read it here on BYC and it works.

You bring the water to a boil first, then I use a ladle to put the eggs in and boil them for 12 minutes. I then drain the hot water and run cold water over the eggs and fill up the pan. I usually put them in the refrigerator once they are cooled down.

When you go to peel them the shell peels right off.

Good luck!

Angie

9. jayburd

jayburd Out Of The Brooder

Thanks We ( I >> The whining wife )[​IMG] will try that.

10. WisconsinGardenChick

WisconsinGardenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Great tip - I will try that! I can never seem to get them to peel cleanly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by