Hard boiling eggs...

Eggs from the grocery store peel because they are old. Maybe as much as a month old before they get to the store shelves. Your eggs don't peel because they are fresh. I don't like hard boiled eggs because of the green coating on the yoke. A pretty yellow yoked hard cooked egg is best achieved by using an egg that is at least 3 weeks old or by adding 1/4 c. salt to the water when cooking. Others have methods that work for them, but this is the only way I have been able to get a beautiful clean looking hard cooked egg.

That green coating usually from over cooking. I generally cook my really low and slow and have found I get a nice, beautiful yellow yolk with no green or gray. I actually put the eggs into room temp water and put the pot on the stove and set to medium. I leave until the water just starts to boil and then remove.

I got the idea from this link and have been very happy with the method.

http://its-fitting.com/2012/01/how-to-boil-an-egg/

My usual routine is drop into boiling water for up to 10 minutes, shock, peel and my results were fairly good but every now and then one would stick a little. Decided to pickle a couple dozen eggs so I refrigerated for over two weeks and read lots of articles about how to peel the perfect hard boiled egg. Basically cold water with a teaspoon of baking soda, bring to boil, let boil 5-10 minutes, then shock, let them cool completely, and presto... perfect peeled egg.

NOT!!!!!!! I let them cool in the fridge for over 2 hours and they are the worst eggs I have ever peeled in my life. It's like that drying out in the fridge glued the egg to the shell or something compare to when I peel them still warm under cold water. I am so disappointed because I've been waiting two weeks for them to age right and did so much research on the best way, and it turns out my old way was 100% better than this way that was recommended on many threads and many other sites.
he.gif

The morale of the story: what works for one person's eggs may not work for you, so you have to find the best way through trial and error for peeling your unique eggs. I know, I thought "eggs are eggs," but apparently its way more complicated than that.

This is what I do with my eggs: Fresh Farm eggs should be at least three or four weeks old for boiling-they peel easier. I'm usually eating the peewee (one from Cluckie, in my avatar, so cute! LOL), small and medium eggs because I sell the large, extra-large and jumbo non-GMO and soy free eggs. I let them come to a point just before boiling, turn off the stove and let them sit for four minutes with the lid on. This makes the egg white solid while keeping the yolk runny..mmmmmm!!! Sprinkle some RealSalt on those babies and they are heaven! If I do larger eggs, say for deviled eggs, then I up the time to about 8-10 minutes depending on the size. But I try to never let the water come to a full boil. Then I take the pan to the sink and pour out the hot water, get a few cups of ice cubes into the pot and fill it with cold water and let them sit until they are cold. I take them out, let them dry and stick them into the fridge. I rarely ever have that greenish tint on the outside of the yolks, which I think means that the egg is overcooked. I do this at least once a week, since these soft/hard boiled eggs are my breakfast every morning, along with some pastured homemade bacon! Can't get any better!!

Last edited:
Okay....... Here's my issue.

Every time I boil my eggs, I put them in a pot of cold water and then put it on the stove. When it starts boiling I set a timer for 11 minutes. I have also added salt or baking soda... As soon as the timer goes of I put to the pot of water in the sink under cold running water for 5 minutes.

Every single time I peel an egg half of the egg white sticks to the shell and I end up wasting it. What am I doing wrong?

Note. This is not the case with the white store bought eggs. Because I have boiled two white eggs and two brown eggs together and the white eggs are peeling normal and the brown eggs just get demolished in the process.

Getting aggravated.
barnie.gif

OK this is what my friend told me (she has kept chickens for many years). She said fresh eggs are difficult to peel, something to do with the membrane. Grocery store eggs are easy to peel because there are many days in between them being laid and you putting them in the pot to boil so she recommends to keep some eggs in your fridge for several days if you plan to boil them. Hope this works (I have not tried it yet)

Back
Top Bottom