hard decision HELP! (mouse)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hchorselover, Jan 25, 2011.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    (This is not my mouse but she asked me what to do and I need advice from you)
    about a month ago my cousins mouse got a small tumor but now it's as big as the mouse is and it burst twice (today) and is bleeding a little. The mouse does not seem in pain at all and is walking around but it is so big it drags beside her (no pictures) she CAN'T take it to the vet so don't say that but her mom told her to drown it to end its suffering. Yes or no? any other suggestion? We want whatever is best for the mouse but she just can't take it to the vet right now because of money so don't tell us were cruel. thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

drowning is terrible way to die (or almost die).

Ask the vet about a payment plan or a charity euthanasia.

In FL they HAVE to charge to kill an animal but it can be less then cost.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    How much do they charge to put a mouse down? Did she even call to ask? It cant be very much at all..
    And NO.. NO drowning.... thats a cruel way to die. You can try a cervical dislocation... thats the quickest way i can think of..
    Good luck!

4. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    Yes she did call but her mom doesn't want to pay at all because she's not very fond of the mouse and she has NO money (cousin) to pay for it herself I've never heard of cervical dislocation is it free? I know drowning is horrible and I could never, but she doesn't know what to do.

5. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    oh never mind I looked cervical dislocation and I don't think she can do it. She would be afraid of not doing it right and putting it through pain.

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I agree no drowning. If it is a mouse and not a large rat you can hold a pen or pencil horizontal behind the neck and quickly pop the head backwards against the pen/pencil. It will instantly kill the mouse. That is one method of killing mice. The vet I worked for would kill them that way so we could forcefeed reptiles.

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Actually drowning is no different to stopping the oxygen than any other form all you are doing is cutting off the air supply the animal will eventually go unconsciouse and fall asleep. Infact it is an easy way to put to sleep a small animal and we use the method here on chicks that are not viable - like one born with its guts out.
    It is best to use warm water not cold or hot as that will only distress the animal further. You can hold it in your hand and gently stroke it and talk to it and sooth it. You must leave it in the water for at least half an hour as you need to make certain it is dead. - With a chick we would recomend the head being removed but this is a child's pet and folk must think of this when making suggestions.

I personally don;t think any child should be told to kill their own pet whatever the circumstances as it can be very trumatic - even for an adult to deal with.
    Please put this poor mouse out of its agony - honestly it is for the best. You know if you did it while the child was away and let it dry off before the child returned you can just say sadly it passed away and then let them bury it. - The warm water method is good and works so well with chicks I am sure your little mouse will be fine, remember they bite so you may want to wrap it in a flannel to protect you and to stop it struggling.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY A VET TO DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE WITHOUT CRUELTY - a warm water death is only taking its air away and letting it go to sleep the same way a vet would do if he/she used gas/ or overdose of anasthetic to do the deed.

Don't distress the child - folk should be thinking of the impact on the child which is more important than the mouse!!!!!!!

Oesdog - DO THE RIGHT THING !!!!

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Its such a hard thing.. [​IMG]
    i dont know what to say... i cant think of any other way to kill the mouse that isnt cruel. Cervical dislocation is the BEST way..

Some will say put it in the freezer.. i would NOT do that either....
    NO DROWNING OR FREEZING!

Hubby smashed one in the head once with a hammer to end its suffering... it worked instantly. But you have to do it RIGHT..and do it HARD with the first blow...
    NOT something a kid should do...

Gah.. i dont know. An adult really needs to be helping her with this... [​IMG]

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    NO AN ADULT NEEDS TO BE DOING IT !!!!!!!!

It is an adults responsibility NOT A CHILDS!!!!!! - IT is cruelty to the child to ask the child to do that!!!!!!!

IF YOU cut this mouses head off or smash its head in then the body is DAMAGED and this child will always have that image in their mind!!!!!
    THINK OF THE CHILD! - If you drown this mouse and dry it off when this child is away then - " oh darling poor thing just feel asleep and passed away lets have a little burial!!!"

THINK OF THIS CHILDS NEEDS NOT YOUR OWN OR THE MOUSE!!!!!!!!!! THE CHILD SHOULD ALWAYS COME FIRST!!!!!

Oesdog

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yep! I agree..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by