Hard lumps started in nostril bulging bigger quickly

I agree with @dawg53 it looks like an extremely aggressive canker. I've heard canker can progress to the sinuses and even the brain but never seen it. It's usually more common inside the beak/back of the throat.

I hope she recovers soon! ❤️
I see... I realized it's Sunday today, I will do my best to find the medicine tomorrow. Thank you so much!

It appears to be sinus canker. Treatment is Metronidazole 250mg given orally once a day for 5 days.
Another treatment is acidified copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days once a month to keep it in check. Do not put it in a metal waterer, use a plastic waterer.
Hi @dawg53 , it took me a few days but I finally managed to get the Metronidazole 250mg tablets (Flagyl 250mg in France). The hen seems to be feeling okay. Eating okay and running around in the garden.

The hen weighs about 800g or around. One website says oral dosage is 10-50 mg/kg. Should I cut one tablet into 5 or 6 and give a small piece once every day for 5 days?

Also, would you mind telling me how to give it to the hen? Open the mouth, put the tablet in and close the beaks for a while? How can I tell it has swallowed the pill down?
Should I give the medicine to the other two hens although they don't show the symptom?
Thank you so much!

I'll answer for @dawg53 since he's likely gorging on Thanksgiving dinner.

Your breakdown of the proper dosage for your hen makes good sense. I'd go with it. Pry open the beak and shove it inside. You will know she swallowed it if she doesn't spit it out.

I'll answer for @dawg53 since he's likely gorging on Thanksgiving dinner.

Your breakdown of the proper dosage for your hen makes good sense. I'd go with it. Pry open the beak and shove it inside. You will know she swallowed it if she doesn't spit it out.
Awww, thank you so much!
I will try this tomorrow.
Will report you back!

I forgot it's the big holiday in US! Enjoy!! :wee

Hi all,

After a course of Metronidazole (about 50mg for 5 days) plus 10 days or so after that, both of the lumps fell off! (Picture below is from when only the right side fell off. Another attached is her after the 2nd one dropped off)
There are still small growths and she bleeds a tiny amount from the nostrils, so we will keep a close eye on her. She scratches her face much less too, been very active and seems happy, flying and kicking...

I will report again if there are any change, but I would like to thank you all for your advice and support! Much appreciated. 🙏

20211205_160239.jpg

Attachments

• 20211208_155929.jpg
    20211208_155929.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom