Hard shelled eggs!

Springthing

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
SW Missouri
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place for this post. Please forgive me if it isn't!

So, I take this to mean they are being fed well.... our Barreds and Wyandottes are laying eggs and boy, are their shells thick! Compared to store-bought it seems as though their shells are twice as thick and difficult to crack, does that sound right? Normal? I'm not complaining, I'm actually taking that as a compliment that we are feeding them well. Do the shells get a little thinner as the hens get up in age? Just wondering!

I think you are correct. Mine are certainly harder than store bought, even if they are expensive brown ones, labeled "free range" or some such.

I do think even store bought brown eggs are a littler thicker shelled than store bought white, though. I know next to nothing about the biology of all this, but I've read that at least in some cases, colored eggs are one layer of color over another. Perhaps this is two layers of shell as well; it kinda looks like it is on some of mine.

My chickens just started laying a couple of weeks ago and their shells are hard and thick and I also take it as a sign that I am feeding them properly.

Mine are so hard and the membrane is so tough that I first crack the egg and then I always use a point steak knife to pierce the membrane. When I don't do this I end up with egg all over my fingers. It is a good sign though!

thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif

My first (and only so far) egg was like that.. took 3 times to crack. I bought brown free-range, organic, blah blah eggs from the store earlier this week, and the shells were AWFUL. They were all crumbly weird and stuck to the egg like glue. I threw the whole thing away. It almost made me afraid to have brown egg layers. I take it as a sign of good health!
smile.png

Quote:
I've noticed that my BIL's eggs (his hens are all several years old) seem thinner than store bought eggs. Now it's good to know why!

Back
Top Bottom