Hard split peas for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lillyk24, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Lillyk24

Lillyk24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    I bought split peas for my chickens, but now I am wondering if I have to cook them or not. I had sprouts that I put in water for a few days and they sprouted, but do I have to do this for the peas as well? I heard a few different things, some said no it will blow up their stomachs and some said yes its good protein. I dont want to hurt my girls, please advise.

Thanks

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Im not quite sure what a split pea is ( i will google it now) but i have been feeding my 4 week old chicks frozen petite peas and they love them!

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    OH...they are the dried peas?
    Im not sure but I would soak them before feeding them to my chicks.
    I do sprout lentils (that look similar the the split peas i just googled) and my chicks love them too....all with a side of grit.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Chickens can eat these dry. They seem to like split peas better than whole dried peas, but they may not be too excited. You can soak them, but of course split peas will not sprout.

Beezer likes this.
  5. Lillyk24

Lillyk24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Thank you everyone for the tips and reply's I was unsure if I could give them to them or not, so I will soak a few today and see if they like them :)

Thank you!

Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by