Hardware Cloth - Any tips?

Quote:
I use a pair of customized needle nose pliers when using poultry staples ,I took a drill and made a hole thru my pliers so that i could pull tight against the wire without it slipping , it works great so go buy a dollar pair of pliers and try it

Can't be of too much help as I think the stuff is miserable, but I can offer this. I bought a SKIL Power Cutter a few years ago to cut boxes into fuel for my bee smoker and it has proven to be invaluable! It goes right through hardware cloth as easily as it goes through cardboard...best $45 I ever spent I think.
Well, beside the power stapler- also bought to build bee hive frames, turns out it works on chicken coops too:)

To cut the hardware cloth, i use an angle grinder. It works great. Wear gloves and eye protection- it throws quite a few sparks.

For poultry staples (which i called 'horseshoe nails' growing up), i like to hammer the two points together until they are about parallel. I think they go in better that way, instead of starting to go in, then smooshing against the board.

I used a grinder with a diamond blade as well, plus, measure and figure where you want cuts. On the edge so that you have a complete box or inbetween with a tag end (sharp points). I first stapled with heavy duty wire staples, put in in opposite directions (keeps from being pulled out as easy) I also cut a groove in my uprights so that the wire ends would be inside the frame. On the edge, I cut and made molding to cover both sides (picture frame look).
21997_picture_140.jpg
. STill was a major pain, even if I backrolled the wire before. Nothing says OUCH like a roll of HW hitting you on the back of the neck!

Wow! Thanks so much everyone.
The wind and storms on the way have put a halt to finishing the job.
At least we have had the time to collect all this great info on installing HC.
My husband has been reading them all.
I will post pics on the progress hopefully soon.

How many years ago did you live here?

I was born and raised here.

To pull tight it should just lay flat. It may need to be tied or tacked in place at first. But HW is not like chain link. It really does not stretch.

I am trying to picture where in Arcadia one can still have chickens ??
6 years ago my parents passed away and I sold the house where I was born ... 1953. By Live Oak and Santa Anita Ave.
Have not been back since and probably never will. Was hard to leave but now you could not pay me to move back there.

Back
Top Bottom