Hardware cloth apron around coop AND run?

The chickens are pretty good exterminators of these two šŸ˜œ

I agree with the majority, but check your HW cloth prices. I have found the most ecomical way for me to purchase it locally is by way of 48"x 25' rolls (69.99), then cut to whatever width I need it using an angle grinder w/ a cutting wheel. You can zip down the cloth in a matter of seconds and have 50' of 24" cloth cut.

Lastly, thought I'd add that I choose to bury mine vertically. I'm always concerned that regardless of what I put on a skirt, a pred is going to figure me out. Burying it gives me the most security (and muscles from all that digging šŸ¤£šŸ’ŖšŸ¤œšŸ¤›)
The 4ā€™ hardware cloth idea is BRILLIANT. Iā€™ll be giving that a go, for sure. Thank you!

Hi! Iā€™m new here and this is my first post. My husband and I are building our coop and, as weā€™ve moved into an old house that needs LOTS of love, we are trying to build it as inexpensively as possible without sacrificing security.

Predators/uninvited guests Iā€™ve seen so far include hawks, coyotes, snakes, and mice. Iā€™m sure we have weasels and raccoons, too, though I havenā€™t seen any personally yet.

Hereā€™s my question: Is it sufficient to have 1/2ā€ hardware cloth in a bent-out apron around the perimeter of our coop, or do we need it around the run too? The only time the birds will be in the run is during the day. We are insanely lucky enough to work from home, so we can monitor in case anything suspicious is afoot.
Predators can strike anytime! If you can't afford losses and your chickens will be pets don't use chicken wire! You'll have peace of mine if you invest in hardware cloth.It pays for itself.

Back
Top Bottom