Hardware cloth apron around coop AND run?

lefttowrite

Chirping
Jun 19, 2023
Northern MI
Hi! I’m new here and this is my first post. My husband and I are building our coop and, as we’ve moved into an old house that needs LOTS of love, we are trying to build it as inexpensively as possible without sacrificing security.

Predators/uninvited guests I’ve seen so far include hawks, coyotes, snakes, and mice. I’m sure we have weasels and raccoons, too, though I haven’t seen any personally yet.

Here’s my question: Is it sufficient to have 1/2” hardware cloth in a bent-out apron around the perimeter of our coop, or do we need it around the run too? The only time the birds will be in the run is during the day. We are insanely lucky enough to work from home, so we can monitor in case anything suspicious is afoot.

but you won't be able to catch pests like rats and mice at work.
The chickens are pretty good exterminators of these two 😜

I agree with the majority, but check your HW cloth prices. I have found the most ecomical way for me to purchase it locally is by way of 48"x 25' rolls (69.99), then cut to whatever width I need it using an angle grinder w/ a cutting wheel. You can zip down the cloth in a matter of seconds and have 50' of 24" cloth cut.

Lastly, thought I'd add that I choose to bury mine vertically. I'm always concerned that regardless of what I put on a skirt, a pred is going to figure me out. Burying it gives me the most security (and muscles from all that digging 🤣💪🤜🤛)

Some are. Mine may eat mice, but they'll cohabitate with rats. :(
Always been grateful to not live in a place that has rats generally. Central Oregon. I have never once seen a rat on my property, and I've lived here for 3 decades (my whole life 🤣). Lots of mice, shrews, groundhogs, lizards - but no rats or snakes.

You planning to always be home to monitor them? Never going on vacation or never come home late after dinner/movie, etc?

People don't usually regret having extra security and not using it, but not so much the opposite - so I'd just do it now if it's even a thought right now. Couple hours of your time and another roll of of materials would keep you from dealing with that aftermath of many predator events. I've had it happen, it sucks and is gruesome to clean up and deal with.

Personally I like knowing that my secondary run is just as secure as the primary setup they sleep inside at night, it makes me feel better knowing there's at least some backup if my auto door ever fails to close and it's one less thing to worry about.

You planning to always be home to monitor them? Never going on vacation or never come home late after dinner/movie, etc?

People don't usually regret having extra security and not using it, but not so much the opposite - so I'd just do it now if it's even a thought right now. Couple hours of your time and another roll of of materials would keep you from dealing with that aftermath of many predator events. I've had it happen, it sucks and is gruesome to clean up and deal with.

Personally I like knowing that my secondary run is just as secure as the primary setup they sleep inside at night, it makes me feel better knowing there's at least some backup if my auto door ever fails to close and it's one less thing to worry about.
Well stated @perkolator

Back
Top Bottom