1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware cloth apron help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Meltheskier, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Meltheskier

Meltheskier Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    I am building my first coop and digging a trench to bury the hardware cloth isn't an option with our ground so I. Going the apron route. Is it enough to overlap pieces of hardware cloth by five or six inches on the grounds d or do I need to secure the cloth together somehow to mimic one continuous piece? If I do have to attach it, any suggestions? On the coop itself I did stitch pieces together with wire, but that seems very difficult to do with long pieces laying on the ground. Thanks!

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Dunno how others have done it but to cover corners (the only parts where I had to piece together different sections) I did a slight overlap in my apron of hardware cloth, just a couple of inches, then used the long lawn staples (6") to secure the ends together and to nail them into the ground. I have a chain-link run with concrete sunk into all of the corner posts so I personally didn't see the need for a bigger overlap. The same lawn staples also secure the rest of the apron to the ground, I staggered them so that one staple would be on the edge, then the next one close to the fence, then edge again, etc.

I then used 1/2" hog rings to secure the remaining portion of hardware cloth to my fence.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I would think overlapping them 6 inches or so would be fine.

I used a lawnmower to cut the grass down nearly flush with the ground, then laid the apron down flat and tight to the ground, using 99 cent tent stakes from Walmart. The kind that look like a long nail with orange plastic hold downs. I used 1" x 2" - 14 gauge welded wire for the apron. In no time at all, the grass quickly grew up through it and within a few weeks you could hardly tell it was there. Eventually the grass will hold it down as much as the tent stakes.

To date, it has repelled all boarders. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You may be talking about the corners but I think you are talking about splicing a continuous straight run. For my straight runs I only overlapped mine a few inches, probably less than 6”, but connected them together with J-Clips where I used light gauge wire and hog rings where I used heavier gauge wire. I used leftover wire for some of mine so it’s a mix. I could see where threading it together with wire could be a pain even if the wire is not very stiff but maybe using short pieces and bending or twisting them at individual points instead of trying to thread it through would work better.

I made mine about 18” wide since I split 3’ wire down the middle. That’s about what I overlapped them at the corners but I did not tie them together.

5. 8MerryHens

8MerryHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Iowa
    Wire clothe's hangers make great pins for apron wire - can make two long pins out of each hanger. Best part is most people have these at home so they are free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by