hardware cloth cost and questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChicknJ, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hey , need some input from you guys and gals. My 10 yr old and I are rebuilding a coop we have here. Kinda just have a frame that I use to keep hay in, it would hold about 15 bales, so it is decent sized. I am looking to enclose it with hardware cloth but got a little sticker shock. Does anybody know where to get like 100 ft or so without taking a second mortgage out? I did find an online site that has 24" by 100 ft shipped for about 90 dollars. Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Quote:I think that your best buy would be at Home Depot. That's where I bought all of my 48" x 25', 1/2- x 1/2-inch hardware cloth.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I checked home depot and tsc was cheaper. I maybe wrong. I just trashed picked a piece today, I think it will be enough to cover the window.

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    I got mine at Menards... it was $31 for a 4' x 50' roll... it's actually on sale now though, that same roll for $19.

5. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Sweet price. I'll check their on line shop. . TSC costs like 25 dollars for a 36" by 20 ft peice.

I checked around at several threads and realize I need to bite the bullet and just pay the man so my girls are safe. Thank you thank you,

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    One option to save on cost is to get the welded wire used for fencing (I think the holes are 2" x 4" ) to cover the area, then use hardware cloth along the bottom 2' or so....It would be a bit cheaper, but still be a whole lot stronger then chicken wire!

7. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Quote:I'll be at Menards tomorrow. Can't turn down a deal like THAT. I just might buy them out.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    No Menards out here. I used to love that store when I lived in Wausau WI. I paid $42 for mine at Lowes. It was a few dollars cheaper at Lowes. I need at least 2 more rolls to finish the security upgrade. [​IMG]

9. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Quote:I'll be at Menards tomorrow. Can't turn down a deal like THAT. I just might buy them out.

I was there bright and early this morning. None of the wire was on sale. 4'x50' 1/2" hardware cloth was 47.99.

10. HenNewbie

HenNewbie In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    Home Depot 6/9/09 in Portland, Oregon 4' x 25' half inch for $52.88 vs. Wilco Farm Store at nearly $9 a foot.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: