No Dig Predator Fencing Question

CelticMomOf4

Chirping
Sep 6, 2023
Hi Everyone!:frow
I have taken over the chicken coop at our elementary school. We have standing coop enclosed in a chicken run that is surrounded by chain link fencing. Someone told me (not from this group) to put 1/4 " hardware cloth 3 ft high surrounding the perimeter of the fence - which I did. I have since read here that 1/2" is better...:barnie
We have a lot of predators here; fox, racoon, coyote, skunks. I am very concerned about them digging under. It is too late to do a 24" wide apron with hardware cloth, since our structure is already in place. What are your thoughts on "No dig predator fencing" vs 12 x 12 landscape stones surrounding the coop? It has to be budget friendly. Using landscape stones would make it more difficult for the groundskeeper to cut the grass. The right way would be to strip out the grass, then use sand to place the landscape stones. That is why I thought of the predator fencing. I saw on Amazon they sell no dig fencing with a width of 24", depth of 15" and spike spacing of 1.5." I can really use your expert advice. Thank you in advance!!!:love

1/4" HC is 23 gauge wire, 1/2" is 19 gauge, significantly heavier and therefore more durable. 1/4" HC covering chain link fencing is very effective, i would not worry. Racoon, fox and skunks can climb fences with ease, that is a greater risk than them penetrating through your HC/chain link perimeter.

I believe the most common method of predator protection used by folks on BYC is horizontal aprons using 1/2" hardware cloth, attached to the exterior perimeter of the run, held down along the outer edge using landscape ties, extending 18' out from the run walls.

Most predators stop at the run walls, attempt to dig, get stopped and are not smart enough to back up and tunnel under.

Will it stop every predator every time, possibly no but very effective for most.

Last edited:
It is too late to do a 24" wide apron with hardware cloth, since our structure is already in place.
No, it's not too late.

The issue with something solid, like pavers, is that a raccoon can be smart enough to back up and dig at the outside edge of the paver and tunnel under them. The hardware cloth sort of disappears into the grass. Raccoon (or other predator) tries to dig, can't get through the hardware cloth, and gives up.

Not sure what this no dig fencing looks like, a link would help.

Not sure why it's "too late" to add a hardware cloth apron? Have the groundskeeper cut about 2' of the grass around the perimeter on the lowest setting, then attach a lip of the apron to the existing fence and lay the remaining width flat on the ground. Landscape staple it down. The grass will grow back in over it and it's mower friendly.

1/4" HC is 23 gauge wire, 1/2" is 19 gauge, significantly heavier and therefore more durable. 1/4" HC covering chain link fencing is very effective, i would not worry. Racoon, fox and skunks can climb fences with ease, that is a greater risk than them penetrating through your HC/chain link perimeter.

I believe the most common method of predator protection used by folks on BYC is horizontal aprons using 1/2" hardware cloth, attached to the exterior perimeter of the run, held down along the outer edge using landscape ties, extending 18' out from the run walls.

Most predators stop at the run walls, attempt to dig, get stopped and are not smart enough to back up and tunnel under.

Will it stop every predator every time, possibly no but very effective for most.
Thank you! Great information!!!

No, it's not too late.

The issue with something solid, like pavers, is that a raccoon can be smart enough to back up and dig at the outside edge of the paver and tunnel under them. The hardware cloth sort of disappears into the grass. Raccoon (or other predator) tries to dig, can't get through the hardware cloth, and gives up.
So no to the no dig predator fencing?

So no to the no dig predator fencing
It's never to late to put the horizontal no dig apron on the ground. You can add or amend that any time. I had about 18" of 1/2" hardware cloth on the ground around the perimeter of my run, and added another foot in some places this last spring.

If you want to do the vertical no dig apron, the best/easiest time to do that is when you build the run. Although "easy" is relative; no way I could dig down 18" (or even 8") in my soil to put in a vertical apron, short of using a trencher.

Back
Top Bottom