Hardware Cloth Floor Question

Burbchickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Would there be any advantage in using hardware cloth flooring covered with newspaper and then pine shavings on top with deep litter method? Would this create more air floor from the floor and reduce smell while keeping coop cooler during hot days?

Last edited:
That is a very interesting idea.

A few things comes to mind. With deep litter I may be hard to shovel off the hardware cloth... but maybe you could shovel the top then pull up the newspaper? I'm guessing it will be stuck to the hardware cloth often. If some litter falls through will you have a way to clean i from under the coop? Will you be walking on the wire also... How often will you have to brace to hold the weight of an adult with this hardware cloth?

If you could work out the clean up then It could work
smile.png

With the deep litter method, you wouldn't need to use hardware cloth. Plus I don't think the cloth would be good for their feet when they start scratching through the litter. Here's a great site for info on many chicken issues including DE: http://www.plamondon.com/poultryfaq.html

I
use the DL method: started with a minimum of 4" of dried pine shavings and then sprinkled and mixed in DE - I keep my chickens out of the coop when doing this and don't breath the DE in. Now that it's built up, I add a fresh layer about ever two weeks along with additional DE. Works great!

Quote:
I have a very small coop for 4 bantams. I would not be walking on the cloth and the cloth would be supported by 2x2's. It is 2 levels, the level below the flooring is the access to the run. Which is easily cleaned. Thanks

i put hardware cloth down under the roosts thinking the poo would fall thru. it doesnt. i will be closing up that area shortly i really dont like it. maybe it would be ok with newspaper over the cloth, but i dont see the point. its gonna be messy, as for my coop, it has plenty of other ventilation areas so again the hardware cloth was pointless.

In my last coop i put down hardware cloth on the floor and covered it with sand. I have a lot of digging preditors here. This seems for the time being to be working. The sand makes it easier to remove the chips later on. Gloria jean

Quote:
DE is diatomaceous earth - made from tiny fossilized water plants - I use it both in my run, nesting boxes and my coop. It helps to prevent mites and lice and dries the pooh really fast. Also seems to keep smell at bay. Just don't inhale it and keep your chickens away from the area as you're putting it down. I use a kitchen sifter to help "dust" the coop and run. Here's just one of many comments about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1560-Food_Grade_DE

Back
Top Bottom