Hardware cloth + landscaping fabric

springchicken81

Chirping
May 17, 2021
Framingham, MA
We are building our run and plan to use hardware cloth + dirt/sand for the bottom of it. Do we also need landscaping fabric in the equation? On top of the hardware cloth and under the sand?

Also how often does the sand need to be cleaned vs. changed? I’m trying to understand the daily/weekly maintenance.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We are building our run and plan to use hardware cloth + dirt/sand for the bottom of . Do we also need landscaping fabric in the equation? On top of the hardware cloth and under the sand?

Also how often does the sand need to be cleaned vs. changed? I’m trying to understand the daily/weekly maintenance.

Thanks!
I would say no to the landscape fabric. It will only fray with the constant digging and pecking and could be ingested by the chickens. I would bury the hardware cloth at least a foot deep and then throw about 2-3" of gravel on top of that and then add dirt/sand on top. Then you can just rake out the poop every couple of days. If it is a covered run you may need to add more dirt/sand occasionally. If it is uncovered, Mother Nature should clean it for you.

The trouble I have with putting wire on the floor is that it corrodes so fast. I think the acids in the poop hasten it's demise.

Some of that landscape fabric is really tough. It doesn;t break down and will not frey on the edges if there is a sewn seam. Perhaps you could put it on the floor and then attach it to the sidewalls.

I might try that. Thank you very much.

I use landscape fabric, they call it 'saran' in Panama, to provide some shady 'duck and cover' locations for the flock. My birds can see up through the fabric, but aerial predators cannot see down and through it. It's a good spot for my momma hens to take her little ones on a foraging stroll. If your run is going to be large enough to afford both sun and shady spots, you might consider covering a portion of the run with this fabric.

Back
Top Bottom